Sign in with
Your question

IDE HD installation woes!

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2008 2:57:26 PM

Hi all,

First post here. I hope someone can help me out! :) 

I cloned my old IDE Seagate 160Gb hard drive onto another IDE Seagate hard drive 160Gb (a quicker model) and intended to use the old drive as storage for MP3's and such.

Basically, I have managed to clone the hard drive OK, even down to the same drive letter of C. The problem I have is that when I plug in the old hard drive into the slave connector the BIOS spots the drive (as does Seagate DiscWizard run from a boot CD), but when Windows has booted it has disappeared (and it's also gone in Seagate DiscWizard run from the hard drive). There's obviously some reason why it's there before XP boots, but has disappeared by the time XP is booted.

The really odd thing is that I disconnected both my DVD drives from the other IDE cable and plugged my old hard drive into the master connector of that and all is well. I managed to give the drive a letter (J) and format the drive no problem. I have even installed a few MP3's onto it already, but as soon as I plugged the DVD drives back in and put the hard drive back as the slave to my new master hard drive I'm back where I was - the BIOS seeing it, but when Windows boots it's nowhere to be seen.

The hard drives are plugged into the blue IDE socket on the motherboard and the jumpers are set to cable select. If I change the jumpers on the drives to master and slave it makes no difference, the same situation prevails.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm puling my hair out!

Running XP Home SP3.

More about : ide installation woes

August 3, 2008 4:23:31 PM

Guessing the silence is a 'no idea' then? ;) 
August 3, 2008 6:21:11 PM

Ensure your cabling and jumpers are correct for IDE operation.

- You must be using an 80-wire IDE cable.
- The IDE cable must be 18" long or less. Cables longer than 18" will not work.
- The IDE cable should have 3 connectors, one blue, one gray, and one black.
- The blue connector must go on the motherboard.
- The black connector must plug into the master device.
- The gray connector must plug into the slave device.
- Both devices must have their jumpers set to cable select.

Make sure you're set up like this. In all probability, you have a situation where your devices are not correctly being assigned as master and slave, and one of the drives then becomes undetectable.
Related resources
August 3, 2008 9:48:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The cable is the correct one with blue, grey and black connectors. Not sure about the length, but I am pretty sure it isn't over 18 inches.

The drives are both set to cable select, but the problem remains even if I set the as master and slave.

What I can't understand is why the bios picks up on both drives, but when XP has booted the second drive disappears...

As I said, plugged into the other IDE channel (the one my DVD drives are running on) the drive works perfectly - formatted, drive letter assigned and even has some MP3's on it already.
a c 357 G Storage
August 4, 2008 3:21:08 AM

Any chance the IDE port or the cable you're using is faulty?

Step 1. Old HDD worked as single Master on IDE Port 1 (Usually has DVD's), but not on IDE Port 0. Disconnect DVD's, connect NEW HDD as Master on IDE1, boot into BIOS to tell it that it should boot from that IDE drive, then let it do that to be sure it works. Now shut down, connect OLD HDD as the Slave on IDE1 and reboot. Do you have two drives?

Step 2A. If no above, , you have a problem with conflicting drives. After all, by this stage you will have successfully run both HDD's individually as Masters on IDE1, yet they won't both work together on IDE1. Yet the port itself and the cable on it were able to run two DVD's together. Look closely for something odd about the jumper settings on the two HDD's.

Step 2B. If Yes at Step 1, you have established that the drives, cable and port for IDE1 are all good. Yet you know already that the same setup using IDE Port0 and a different ribbon cable did not work. Take the known-good cable from Port1 and plug it into Port0. Reboot into BIOS and set the Boot Device to its new location. Then complete the boot. Now do you have two drives?

Step 3A. If Yes in 2B, you solved the problem by swapping cables, and you already know the drives themselves work from Step 1 and 2B. Get a replacement cable for the other IDE port.

Step 3B If No in 2B, you must have a problem with IDE Port0. Everything works with these drives and cable on Port1, but not on Port0. Sorry, that's a more difficult problem to fix. You either sacrifice one DVD to make space for the second HDD, or you replace your mobo, or you buy and install a new IDE controller in a PCI slot.

August 4, 2008 4:46:03 AM

Its not something simple like it just doesnt have a drive letter when XP boots. So it is actually showing up in Disk Management with no drive letter?
August 4, 2008 5:20:51 AM

Did you reformatt the old hard drive? if not try reformatting it then see if it works.Because if you are going to use it just for storage such as things like MP3'S i sugest you reformatt it if you already haven't.
August 4, 2008 8:23:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Last night after I read the first reply I had another fiddle.

Thought I'd try the drives the other way around, moved them in the cradle (with the new drive on top and old drive on the bottom they were VERY close together) the old drive plugged in as master via the black connector and the new drive with XP on it plugged in as slave via the grey connector. I left the jumpers at cable select. Turned on, went into bios and told it to boot from slave instead of master.

The result? For the first time both hard drives showed up on XP, new C: and J:

Thought I'd give it one last go this morning - left the drives as they were (didn't want them as physically close as they were) but contorted the cable so that the new drive was master again and the old drive was slave.

I turned on again, fully expecting the J drive to have disappeared again, but lo and behold - it was there!

Turned off, waited a few seconds, turned on again, XP boots and J is still there!

God knows what happened, but it would appear fixed!

Thanks again for your suggestions and help. Glad to have got there in the end! :) 
!