Commute times too long (Simcity 4)

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Hi all,

How does one fix long commute times in SimCity 4?

I have a city built around a harbour. The industrial and one residential
area is on the other side. To get around, the Sims need to take either a
trip around the harbour, or they can take a ferry or subway directly across.
I implemented the subway after they complained endlessly about long commute
times and abandoned buildings. It doesn't seem to have made a difference
however.

Also...is there a magic formula to fix long commute times?? I have several
other zones on the "mainland" which are near to commercial and have easy
road access to the industrial areas, but they still are listed as having
long commute times. This is despite me implementing train stations, subways
and bus stations all nearby.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Jason :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:36:03 +1300, Jason put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>Hi all,
>
>How does one fix long commute times in SimCity 4?
>
>I have a city built around a harbour. The industrial and one residential
>area is on the other side. To get around, the Sims need to take either a
>trip around the harbour, or they can take a ferry or subway directly across.
>I implemented the subway after they complained endlessly about long commute
>times and abandoned buildings. It doesn't seem to have made a difference
>however.
>
>Also...is there a magic formula to fix long commute times?? I have several
>other zones on the "mainland" which are near to commercial and have easy
>road access to the industrial areas, but they still are listed as having
>long commute times. This is despite me implementing train stations, subways
>and bus stations all nearby.
>
>Anyone got any ideas on this one?

There's a mod available from Simtropolis which changes the commute
time algorithm to something a bit more realistic. It will solve most
of these problems, if you don't mind the fact that some people would
consider that it's cheating a bit to alter the way the game plays like
that. Personally, although I won't use the "unlimited funds" mods or
BATs, I'm happy with things like the transport mod which make the game
behave more like it would in a real life scenario. The maximum commute
times before the sims start whinging is set far to low to be realistic
in the game as it comes out of the box. In real life, a "long" commute
would be city to city; anything within a single SC city would never be
more than medium.

Mark
--
--> http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, games and ringtones! <--
"Life is both a major and a minor key"

In article <417cb8d4_4@127.0.0.1>, "Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>How does one fix long commute times in SimCity 4?
>
>I have a city built around a harbour. The industrial and one residential
>area is on the other side. To get around, the Sims need to take either a
>trip around the harbour, or they can take a ferry or subway directly across.
>I implemented the subway after they complained endlessly about long commute
>times and abandoned buildings. It doesn't seem to have made a difference
>however.

The problem may or may not be fixed. Even if you run a subway line directly
from point A to B, 1) the commute time may still be too long in terms of total
distance and 2) you still have the problem that rich sims prefer to
nearly exclusively use cars rather than mass transit to get to their jobs.

>Also...is there a magic formula to fix long commute times?? I have several
>other zones on the "mainland" which are near to commercial and have easy
>road access to the industrial areas, but they still are listed as having
>long commute times. This is despite me implementing train stations, subways
>and bus stations all nearby.

Another possibility is that you may not have enough *stations*, even if you
have enough lines. Sims tend to walk to the stations to use mass transit, and
that means putting at least one bus and subway stop pair on every block.
Alternatively, if you're using RushHour, you could put a parking garage in a
spot next to the station and have the sims drive to that and hop the mass
transit. But it's not as fast and you also incur a time penalty when they
have to get out of their cars to get on the bus/subway.
---
Mike

"Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:417cb8d4_4@127.0.0.1...
> Hi all,
>
> How does one fix long commute times in SimCity 4?
>
> I have a city built around a harbour. The industrial and one residential
> area is on the other side. To get around, the Sims need to take either a
> trip around the harbour, or they can take a ferry or subway directly
across.
> I implemented the subway after they complained endlessly about long
commute
> times and abandoned buildings. It doesn't seem to have made a difference
> however.
>
> Also...is there a magic formula to fix long commute times?? I have several
> other zones on the "mainland" which are near to commercial and have easy
> road access to the industrial areas, but they still are listed as having
> long commute times. This is despite me implementing train stations,
subways
> and bus stations all nearby.
>
> Anyone got any ideas on this one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason :)

just build a lot of subways - rail ect --- there wil always be dumb sims
getting jobs at the far side of town , when they could be getting more local
jobs ---

just one of those things

Boc

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Is this the mod you speak of Mark:

http://www.simtropolis.com/modfiles/content.cfm?section=MODS&detail=166

???

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:36:03 +1300, Jason put finger to keyboard and
> typed:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >How does one fix long commute times in SimCity 4?
> >
> >I have a city built around a harbour. The industrial and one residential
> >area is on the other side. To get around, the Sims need to take either a
> >trip around the harbour, or they can take a ferry or subway directly
across.
> >I implemented the subway after they complained endlessly about long
commute
> >times and abandoned buildings. It doesn't seem to have made a difference
> >however.
> >
> >Also...is there a magic formula to fix long commute times?? I have
several
> >other zones on the "mainland" which are near to commercial and have easy
> >road access to the industrial areas, but they still are listed as having
> >long commute times. This is despite me implementing train stations,
subways
> >and bus stations all nearby.
> >
> >Anyone got any ideas on this one?
>
> There's a mod available from Simtropolis which changes the commute
> time algorithm to something a bit more realistic. It will solve most
> of these problems, if you don't mind the fact that some people would
> consider that it's cheating a bit to alter the way the game plays like
> that. Personally, although I won't use the "unlimited funds" mods or
> BATs, I'm happy with things like the transport mod which make the game
> behave more like it would in a real life scenario. The maximum commute
> times before the sims start whinging is set far to low to be realistic
> in the game as it comes out of the box. In real life, a "long" commute
> would be city to city; anything within a single SC city would never be
> more than medium.
>
> Mark
> --
> --> http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, games and ringtones! <--
> "Life is both a major and a minor key"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:53:03 +1300, Jason put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>Is this the mod you speak of Mark:
>
>http://www.simtropolis.com/modfiles/content.cfm?section=MODS&detail=166

No, the one I was thinking of is the "Network Addon Beta" mod. This is
the link:

http://www.simtropolis.com/modfiles/content.cfm?section=The%20Essentials&detail=380

Alternatively, it's currently under "Newest 10 The Essentials" in the
right hand column of http://www.simtropolis.com/modfiles/index.cfm

Mark
--
--> http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, games and ringtones! <--