Newegg jacked price of 3870 to 270

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
We go through this EVERY time a company raises its prices in response to demand... unless the product in question is a necessity for life (water, food, etc), there is no such thing as gouging. They are simply charging what people are willing to pay.

The price/performance factor for this card is no longer there. So if you are purchasing this card you really are not getting your moneys worth at $280. $220 was a good price. But business is business and if you are willing to pay $50 more for it then they can make $50 more from you. If you aren't and they don't sell then they will come back to $220. Supply and Demand... And in this case, Demand wins and there is a low supply. So if you want to fork out the $$$$ you will. I am thinking to just upgrade my CPU to a Q6600 and wait for the next wave of graphics cards. the CPU marked it nicely priced, well exelt the 45nm intel chips... CHACHING

vip3569

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Exactly, the reason why the 3870 was such a good card was because of the price. Since newegg jacked up the price, there really is no reason to get the 3870 now. Go for the 8800gt instead.

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I was a bit upset as well, I decided to go with the 3870 because of its good price. It doesn’t perform as well but I was ok with it after saving $70 bucks or so. However because of the holiday season they have been very hard to find in stock. I spent the entire day yesterday checking newegg for them because they were the only ones that had them priced right still. They got a few sapphires in stock in the morning but they sold out in an hour. I kept checking back and around 7pm they must have had a cancellation or something because 1 went back in stock. I grabbed it right away. Now I realize I got the LAST 3870 for $220 for today they cost $270. I had plans to Crossfire 2 but now im going to wait until the prices come back down. Beside the crossfire drivers need improved anyway...

...I know its business but its still upsetting. You still can’t beat neweggs customer service though! So no, newegg hanst lost any respect imo. Quit crying about it. but I do have to agree, It kinda screws up the price/performance that ATI had against Nvidia's 8800GT. I hope It doesnt hurt ATI that retailers are doing this.

[:wr2:4]
For people with CF capable motherboards and have CF capable games even jacked up, higher prices of the 3870s should be telling them just one thing. Wait! till the prices fall back to reasonable levels.

For people with SLI capable motherboards and have SLI capable games even
jacked up, higher prices of the 8800GTs should be telling them just one
thing. Wait! till the prices fall back to reasonable levels.

At stock prices either board is a pretty good price/performance choice for a single card. For people lusting for multi-GPU systems its as much about motherboard choice as GPU choice. Either choice is good, very good.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Yes, even with Nvidia, a spokesman said that the prices for the 8800GT would eventually drop to around $200 by spring. ATI has tried to keep prices close to their recommended, but the only card of the two new series they have in sufficient numbers is the X3850. Nvidia didn't even try to get retailers to stick to the MSRP at launch because they knew they couldn't meet demand for the 8800GT.
I have no problems with Newegg selling high to the Crysis crowd and their holiday shopping relatives. If I get stuck with an X3850 this December, then so be it. I can always move it to my wife's PC and get an X3870 when prices and availability stabilize. I'll get an 8800GT for the sole Nvidia motherboard box too, one of these days this spring.

What I can't figure out is why Newegg still has the X2900XT so high? I can't see anyone getting that when waiting a month will snare an X3870, and it's not much better than an X3850 in framerates. At least the old 8800GTS 320, which is also selling a bit high still, is closer to Nvidia's new mainstream flagship in capabilities.

onigami

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Eh...Considering it's not in stock anywhere, I'll just take my business elsewhere. NCIX is still selling three of them for $221, plus it comes with the Black Box, which I prefer over the Orange Box. I can wait...just do some actual work and recording and maybe some Episode 1 in the meantime. ;)

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

is NCIX reliable to shipping to the US?