Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

why why why??? Why are the Phenoms Priced SO HIGH????

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 23, 2007 7:46:52 PM

WHY?????....is the Phenom 9500 selling for $259, it should be selling for HALF that???

WHY?????....haven't the Athlon X2 prices dropped???

I waited a year for this crap??

I don't get it???

INTEL WILL RAISE THEIR PRICES!!!! Why the EFF wouldn't they???

Or they'll lower them and put the final nail in the coffin...

AMD, you guys look like a bunch of half wits...

Well, now I have to figure out what kind of motherboard to buy for my new q6600...
I haven't had an Intel processor since my gateway Pentium 200 back in 1997...

Intel Fans, please give me some options. I don't need SLI or Xfire, but do want as many Sata ports as possible, eSata would be nice too.

Thanks and goodbye AMD, it was a good 10 year run....

More about : why why phenoms priced high

November 23, 2007 8:00:26 PM

Intel prices are not fair. Intel simultaneously prices too high and too low.

Q6600 is priced too high because intel profits are too high.
Q6600 is priced too low because they're going to put AMD out of business!
November 23, 2007 8:08:16 PM

redboy33 said:
WHY?????....is the Phenom 9500 selling for $259, it should be selling for HALF that???

WHY?????....haven't the Athlon X2 prices dropped???

I waited a year for this crap??

I don't get it???

INTEL WILL RAISE THEIR PRICES!!!! Why the EFF wouldn't they???

Or they'll lower them and put the final nail in the coffin...

AMD, you guys look like a bunch of half wits...

Well, now I have to figure out what kind of motherboard to buy for my new q6600...
I haven't had an Intel processor since my gateway Pentium 200 back in 1997...

Intel Fans, please give me some options. I don't need SLI or Xfire, but do want as many Sata ports as possible, eSata would be nice too.

Thanks and goodbye AMD, it was a good 10 year run....



Well, I hate to tell you that AMD is A LOT older than ten years and EVERY 790FX mobo has eSATA. Also, when Core 2 intro'd it was higher the first week than the second. Saying it's only worth half that and is only around 20% slower sounds kind of irrational. It's real simple, C2D is about 400MHz faster (2.2 = 2.6) so a 2.2 Intel should be around the price of a 2.6 AMD X2.

Phenom is much closer overall.

Oh I forgot,

DOOM AND GLOOM, DOOM AND GLOOM. I blame TC. j/k
November 23, 2007 8:37:30 PM

BaronMatrix said:
I blame TC. j/k


LOL. Aww heck, I blame myself too! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
November 23, 2007 8:49:25 PM

redboy33 said:
WHY?????....is the Phenom 9500 selling for $259, it should be selling for HALF that???

WHY?????....haven't the Athlon X2 prices dropped???

I waited a year for this crap??

I don't get it???

INTEL WILL RAISE THEIR PRICES!!!! Why the EFF wouldn't they???

Or they'll lower them and put the final nail in the coffin...

AMD, you guys look like a bunch of half wits...

Well, now I have to figure out what kind of motherboard to buy for my new q6600...
I haven't had an Intel processor since my gateway Pentium 200 back in 1997...

Intel Fans, please give me some options. I don't need SLI or Xfire, but do want as many Sata ports as possible, eSata would be nice too.

Thanks and goodbye AMD, it was a good 10 year run....




TechnologyCoordinator said:
Intel prices are not fair. Intel simultaneously prices too high and too low.

Q6600 is priced too high because intel profits are too high.
Q6600 is priced too low because they're going to put AMD out of business!


@ both of you... agreed!
November 23, 2007 8:52:21 PM

To the op - If you read the articles around phenom launch (such as the THG one) you'll see the recommended prices by AMD are lower than what the shops are asking. All the retailers have set the price higher than where it should be ... and this is because it's only just been launched. Give it a week or two and they'll probably be near to the AMD recommended sale prices.
November 23, 2007 8:55:22 PM

Why is it high?

why are you high?
November 23, 2007 8:58:46 PM

Anything new is initially pricey even if it failed to live up to expectations. It makes good business sense to try and sell at a higher price first then slowly reduce the prices when sales slow down. Wait a while and prices will tumble just like the C2D and AMD Athlon X2 did.

Although the Phenom failed to squash Intel in terms of performance it's not terrible either. In some benchmarks the Phenom did put up a challenge to Intel. The gap will close when AMD fix the Bugs that are causing stability problems at higher clock speeds. Phenom does not set the world a light, but AMD offer an affordable Quad that will work on cheap AM2 motherboards or the new impressive 7 series chipset motherboards.

It's not doom and gloom for AMD
November 23, 2007 9:04:44 PM

I heard that the new AMD microarchitecture is a lot more than just glorified Athlons. The technology will probably mature quickly. Hope the AM2 board I bought will be compatible with the PHENOM processors.
Couldnt find on the Gigabyte website if they were or were not.
November 23, 2007 9:31:40 PM

AMD is trying to make money... what else...
November 23, 2007 10:48:44 PM

Quote:
Saying it's only worth half that and is only around 20% slower

Just like with cars, price is not linearly correlated to performance. There's a normal distribution in the output quality from a fab. It would be silly to price the top bin, barely 25% faster than the lowest bin, at only a 25% premium, while purchasing wars send the street value of the most desired bin to several times retail value.
November 24, 2007 1:01:53 AM

$259 is dirt cheap for new technology
but if they sell it for any more then sell NONE instead of only a few
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 1:48:06 AM

Don't complain, the 9500 is $315 here, more than a Q6600 (by a few dollars) :lol: 
November 24, 2007 2:08:18 AM

someone just buy me a q6600 and a phenom so i can test it and tell you if its high or not
November 24, 2007 4:46:44 AM

The first CPU of a new generation will always be released at a price premium. This applies to any CPU manufacturer as they have to maximize a return on investment. As economies of scale set in and competition increases, the price of said CPUs should fall. How else do you think a company can stay in business if it prices new CPUs too cheaply ?


November 24, 2007 4:57:19 AM

Not so long ago Q6600 costed more than twice current price, now Intel is prepared for late AMD launch and they have to release Phenoms dirty cheap, and still ppl complain ;)  Prices will settle down, I just hope AMD will sell enough of Phenoms and wont have to dump it even cheaper... They need some cash flow to keep going, at least chipsets and video cards are selling well.
November 24, 2007 12:03:38 PM

redboy33 said:
WHY?????....is the Phenom 9500 selling for $259, it should be selling for HALF that???

WHY?????....haven't the Athlon X2 prices dropped???

I waited a year for this crap??

I don't get it???

INTEL WILL RAISE THEIR PRICES!!!! Why the EFF wouldn't they???

Or they'll lower them and put the final nail in the coffin...

AMD, you guys look like a bunch of half wits...

Well, now I have to figure out what kind of motherboard to buy for my new q6600...
I haven't had an Intel processor since my gateway Pentium 200 back in 1997...

Intel Fans, please give me some options. I don't need SLI or Xfire, but do want as many Sata ports as possible, eSata would be nice too.

Thanks and goodbye AMD, it was a good 10 year run....


supply / demand, market fluctuations, Intel = monopolistic behavior, Yield issues for AMD, more complex design than Intel's quad, etc, etc

Oh yeah and the obligated "the cpu market is doomed", "I'm buying VIA stock", "I'm never using AMD again cuz they've always sucked, K8 who's that?, yes I will enjoy my $500 celeron in the near future", "Intel is like hitler's evil twin due to their marketing practices, I'm buying 3 QuadFX systems", etc

Did I miss anything?
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 2:11:45 PM

I remember last year in January when the AMD 64x2 6000 processor came out they were selling that sucker on Newegg for $599!! Other sites were charging that and higher.

Then 3 months later in March the price plummeted to $220!!

I expect the same thing will happen with the Phenoms.

You are not going to see anything happen to the price of the Phenoms or 64x2 line until Intel gets several dual and quad core solutions out there on the new 45nm platform. Once that happens I think AMD will drop their prices within 30-45 days max.

However there was a big change last week. The AMD 64x2 6400 Black edition fell from $209 to $179 a day after the release of the Phenom. That was a good $30 drop.
November 24, 2007 2:49:04 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
K8 looks like a yard sale now.


Nothing wrong with that
November 24, 2007 3:01:50 PM

rwayne said:
I remember last year in January when the AMD 64x2 6000 processor came out they were selling that sucker on Newegg for $599!! Other sites were charging that and higher.

Then 3 months later in March the price plummeted to $220!!

I expect the same thing will happen with the Phenoms.

You are not going to see anything happen to the price of the Phenoms or 64x2 line until Intel gets several dual and quad core solutions out there on the new 45nm platform. Once that happens I think AMD will drop their prices within 30-45 days max.

However there was a big change last week. The AMD 64x2 6400 Black edition fell from $209 to $179 a day after the release of the Phenom. That was a good $30 drop.


STEELERS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: 
November 24, 2007 3:03:07 PM

teh_boxzor said:
Why is it high?

why are you high?


iWeed... the new app from Apple that lets you smoke pot every day all day
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 3:07:28 PM

Well the Steelers have 5 Superbowl rings and only 2 other teams can say that and I assume your team is not one of them.

This is not a topic thread on the NFL. Stick to the topic at hand for the sake of the other members of the forum.
November 24, 2007 3:09:16 PM

true true... well... still... you know everyone has its own team so im sorry but im a REDSKINS fan all the way
November 24, 2007 3:44:39 PM

BaronMatrix said:
Well, I hate to tell you that AMD is A LOT older than ten years and EVERY 790FX mobo has eSATA. Also, when Core 2 intro'd it was higher the first week than the second. Saying it's only worth half that and is only around 20% slower sounds kind of irrational. It's real simple, C2D is about 400MHz faster (2.2 = 2.6) so a 2.2 Intel should be around the price of a 2.6 AMD X2.

Phenom is much closer overall.

Oh I forgot,

DOOM AND GLOOM, DOOM AND GLOOM. I blame TC. j/k


BaronMatrix said:
Well, I hate to tell you that AMD is A LOT older than ten years and EVERY 790FX mobo has eSATA. Also, when Core 2 intro'd it was higher the first week than the second. Saying it's only worth half that and is only around 20% slower sounds kind of irrational. It's real simple, C2D is about 400MHz faster (2.2 = 2.6) so a 2.2 Intel should be around the price of a 2.6 AMD X2.

Phenom is much closer overall.

Oh I forgot,

DOOM AND GLOOM, DOOM AND GLOOM. I blame TC. j/k



Sorry, I should have made it clear that I have been using AMD processors for 10 years, not that I thought AMD has only been around for 10 years.

Also, I'm just a BITTER AMD fan.. I don't see how AMD expects to sell any Phenom processors when you can get a faster Core 2 Quad for the same price, if not cheaper??

I understand the 770 chipset completely, but I will "probably" being getting a q6600 and don't know jack about intel based motherboards, that's all.. I would love to pick up a 770 MBoard, but can't find them for sale anywhere.. If the 5000 x2 black ed (I like the lower TDP vs the 6400 black ed.) drops to $99, then I think it's worth it.. Like I said I'm not into high end gaming, I have a Radeon 1950 Pro right now that works for what I do.

I guess I'm just bitter AMD didn't price the Phenom's under $200, if they did, then the bang for my buck (IMO) would be a no brainer..

a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 4:05:46 PM

redboy33 said:
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I have been using AMD processors for 10 years, not that I thought AMD has only been around for 10 years.

Also, I'm just a BITTER AMD fan.. I don't see how AMD expects to sell any Phenom processors when you can get a faster Core 2 Quad for the same price, if not cheaper??

I understand the 770 chipset completely, but I will "probably" being getting a q6600 and don't know jack about intel based motherboards, that's all.. I would love to pick up a 770 MBoard, but can't find them for sale anywhere.. If the 5000 x2 black ed (I like the lower TDP vs the 6400 black ed.) drops to $99, then I think it's worth it.. Like I said I'm not into high end gaming, I have a Radeon 1950 Pro right now that works for what I do.

I guess I'm just bitter AMD didn't price the Phenom's under $200, if they did, then the bang for my buck (IMO) would be a no brainer..
I know how you feel. AMD has suffered defeated season after defeated season for a long time now. It has been just brutal. I am sure that Redskins fan can relate to your AMD woes.

November 24, 2007 4:13:55 PM

There is no hope whatsoever for AMD. I have an older AMD, and I like it. However, there is still no hope for AMD. :( 
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 4:17:01 PM

I can't agree with that. When AMD burst on to the scene with the Althon XP processors they came out of no where. And they probably had a smaller budget to work with then than they do now.

I think they can pull themselves up. It is just not going to be an overnight thing.

The best thing I thing that could happen to AMD at this point is to be aquired by Samsung or IBM.
November 24, 2007 4:20:38 PM

speedbird said:
Nothing wrong with that


Nothing wrong for us... Now... But AMD won't profit if their mid-range products are selling for less than a hundred bucks.
November 24, 2007 4:23:13 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Nothing wrong for us... Now... But AMD won't profit if their mid-range products are selling for less than a hundred bucks.

Ahhh but it be retarded if AMD is still thinking of profit. They better start thinking about surviving first!
November 24, 2007 4:29:43 PM

rwayne said:
I know how you feel. AMD has suffered defeated season after defeated season for a long time now. It has been just brutal. I am sure that Redskins fan can relate to your AMD woes.


Where is Doug Williams when AMD needs him most?
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 4:38:36 PM

I think AMD needs Daniel $ynder more than anyone else.

But then again he has invested $100 million dollars before and still did not get a winning product.
November 24, 2007 5:23:17 PM

If AMD does come out of this alive it will either have to be bought by somebody or receive some massive cash infusions. Right now they have no competitive and profitable products on the market. What's worse is that their roadmap for at least the next 2 years doesn't look promising at all, especially considering Intel's "Tick Tock" strategy.
November 24, 2007 5:26:06 PM

Both intel and amd make good processors, there is not that much of a differnce between fast and fastest in a lot of apps, that being said, amd needs some direction. quadfx sucked and they pushed that, fasn8 sounded like a great idea and they cancel that. The phenom x4 sounded great moths ago, they sold me on it, then they actually came out, and it was lame(in comparison to intel quads). Amd has good ideas, they just dont have the resources to execute these ideas on time. I love my x2 5600, just like i loved my xp2500, and more than likely i will end up with a phenom and 790fx motherboard, but it not because i actualy like the phenom, love the spider platform, hate the phenom, but hell it fours cores, so whatever.
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 5:31:34 PM

homerdog said:
If AMD does come out of this alive it will either have to be bought by somebody or receive some massive cash infusions. Right now they have no competitive and profitable products on the market. What's worse is that their roadmap for at least the next 2 years doesn't look promising at all, especially considering Intel's "Tick Tock" strategy.
What is "Intel's "Tick Tock" strategy"?
November 24, 2007 5:34:04 PM

rwayne said:
What is "Intel's "Tick Tock" strategy"?



Every year they will tick or tock, alternating.

One is a major overhaul (such as Netburst to Core 2).
The other is a minor update, that unlike AM2, will result in faster/better processors (Pernyn)
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 6:34:09 PM

If Intel has a "Tick Tock" strategy then what kind of strategy does AMD have?
November 24, 2007 6:44:29 PM

rwayne said:
If Intel has a "Tick Tock" strategy then what kind of strategy does AMD have?



curl into a fetal position?
November 24, 2007 7:18:24 PM

rwayne said:
If Intel has a "Tick Tock" strategy then what kind of strategy does AMD have?


I'll take this one:



AMD has a flip flop strategy.

AM2 was a flip.

K10 was a flop.



Sorry, I just had to!
November 24, 2007 7:23:39 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I'll take this one:



AMD has a flip flop strategy.

AM2 was a flip.

K10 was a flop.



Sorry, I just had to!


Nice.... :D 
November 24, 2007 7:24:57 PM

rwayne said:
If Intel has a "Tick Tock" strategy then what kind of strategy does AMD have?

AMD is all talk lately. They say that they will have a working 45nm node by the end of next year, but that is highly unlikely in my opinion.

In the mean time they need to focus on getting phenom up to speed with newer steppings. They still won't be able to compete with Intel clock for clock, but they may be a viable alternative if the price is right and power consumption isn't too high.

The scary thing is that AMD makes very little to no profit on any of the desktop processors that they sell. I would almost feel guilty buying an Athlon X2 right now knowing that this is the case.
November 24, 2007 7:42:59 PM

hey, they make a bigger loss if you don't....
November 24, 2007 7:46:28 PM

rwayne said:
If Intel has a "Tick Tock" strategy then what kind of strategy does AMD have?

Pray like hell,and wear a four leaf clover, amd has the oh ****, we better catch up stategy.
November 24, 2007 7:58:14 PM

spuddyt said:
hey, they make a bigger loss if you don't....

:na:  You got me there.

Maybe they could donate them to the OLPC program. The tax write offs might be worth more than what they're selling for :lol: 
November 24, 2007 8:22:28 PM

teh_boxzor'

'Why is it high?

Why are you high?'

ROFL!!!!

November 24, 2007 8:28:08 PM

I think it's sad that some just come on here to bash AMD
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2007 11:35:32 PM

*Pats thunderbird*

It's almost time for the unleashing, precious.

Woe is Intel, I have 37 million fat 180nm transistors coming your way.
November 25, 2007 1:35:20 AM

Haha nice one TC. So what's the next "flip"? a K10 revison?
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2007 1:53:44 AM

I hope that IBM or Samsung buys out AMD at the first of the year.

I heard that Intel has more employees testing processors than AMD has in total for a corporation as a whole.

Until AMD gets a huge cash infusion to have the capabilities to do the necessary research to produce a winner this whole thing is just going to be dragged out for a long time.

What if AMD does go 45nm in 2008? Are they going to be able to do it with a metal like Intel's "hafnium" that prevents energy leakage at that size infrastructure? If they don't they are still going to be 2nd fiddle.

If a buy out occurs it would likely be 1st quarter 2008.

Neither company would dare do it now because it would hurt there year end financials.

But then again it may never happen.
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2007 2:05:38 AM

I heard they are going SOI in 45nm, not sure after that.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!