Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fu*k it AMD!! How dare you rise the price??!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2007 7:59:49 PM

I had just found out at Newegg, that the price for all 3870 went up to $269.

OK, now let's face the situation. AMD's "NATIVE" quad core is a piece of Sh*t compared to Intel's old quad core. And now, AMD makes a new price for all of its 3870 cards: $269!!

3870 has no match with 8800GT. How dare AMD do this? Does this mean that AMD is trying hard to blow its own fat ass up??

:fou:  :fou: 

More about : amd dare rise price

November 23, 2007 8:16:40 PM

xkm1948 said:
I had just found out at Newegg, that the price for all 3870 went up to $269.

OK, now let's face the situation. AMD's "NATIVE" quad core is a piece of Sh*t compared to Intel's old quad core. And now, AMD makes a new price for all of its 3870 cards: $269!!

3870 has no match with 8800GT. How dare AMD do this? Does this mean that AMD is trying hard to blow its own fat ass up??

:fou:  :fou: 

Ummm.. Newegg is doing that, AMD has nothing to do with it. It's the normal increase in demand you see with a new product, especially for the holidays.
November 23, 2007 8:18:53 PM

Most due to Stock. The 3850 is still going for 180 dollars. Hopefully once the stock issue is settled with the 8800 GT and 3870 their prices will level out...
Related resources
November 23, 2007 8:24:36 PM

AMD has very little control over final price. If a seller wants to add a huge premium over MSRP, how the hell is that AMD's fault?

Seriously, dude. :sarcastic: 
November 23, 2007 8:40:07 PM

lol chill.....

thats newegg's price.....

newegg already bought the cards from amd's partners so amd sold it to newegg, not to you. lol. take a chill pill.
November 23, 2007 8:45:45 PM

Newegg's ...
November 23, 2007 8:47:51 PM

Yes, it's rather amusing to see how people blame the card or CPU manufacturers for the prices that supply and demand create.

There are people with quite a bit more money than I have with huge shopping lists who are willing to pay almost anything.

Too bad I don't know anyone like that. I'd love to be on their shopping list.
November 23, 2007 8:48:32 PM

lol.

buy the card from some shop n not online retail. u might get it at AMD pricing.
November 23, 2007 8:49:22 PM

lol funny topic
November 23, 2007 9:23:34 PM

Hes just young and doesn't know much about business and the aspects of it.
November 23, 2007 9:41:32 PM

Oh, I misunderstood it.
November 23, 2007 9:55:32 PM

Dell has the 3870 for $222 in stock. It's a VisionTek
November 23, 2007 9:56:29 PM

Whatever, I will wait until the price go back or even lower.
November 23, 2007 10:16:42 PM

Well at least you learned something new!

Anyways there's no way AMD would try to raise the prices, that would definitely kill themselves
November 23, 2007 10:51:07 PM

And thus ends our lesson in supply and demand. :hello: 
November 23, 2007 10:56:38 PM

From what I've read they are even thinking of lowering the MSRP by some $20 or so.
November 23, 2007 11:03:38 PM

Just get a 8800GT and be done with it.
November 23, 2007 11:10:51 PM

Ever heard of MSRP? Perhaps you need to look up what the "S" stands for.
November 23, 2007 11:15:48 PM

Newegg is famous for having their prices gyrate wildly. Up 50% one day down 50% the next. They really need a better algorithm.
November 24, 2007 3:28:57 AM

Yeah, I think we all get the whole "supply and demand" concept.

But don't blame people for being irked. $200+ is a ton of money for quite a few less fortunate gamers out there. I know several.

So they scrape all the $ they can together and - bam! Retailers raise card prices by over 20% to "maximize profits".

When's the last time these sorts of "supply and demand" shenanigans happened with highly anticipated cards? Did it happen with the Geforce 3? Or the Ati 9700? Or the 6800 GT? Or the 7800 GTX? Or the 8800 series?

November 24, 2007 4:01:51 AM

Ananan said:
Yeah, I think we all get the whole "supply and demand" concept.

But don't blame people for being irked. $200+ is a ton of money for quite a few less fortunate gamers out there. I know several.

So they scrape all the $ they can together and - bam! Retailers raise card prices by over 20% to "maximize profits".

When's the last time these sorts of "supply and demand" shenanigans happened with highly anticipated cards? Did it happen with the Geforce 3? Or the Ati 9700? Or the 6800 GT? Or the 7800 GTX? Or the 8800 series?

Yeah, dude, that's exactly what i feel.

I've just prepared everything ready, but got an unexpected SURPRISING DEAL from newegg on this Black Friday
November 24, 2007 4:07:07 AM

Darn you Nvidia! Why is the BFG watercooled Ultra $1100?! How dare you do this!

And why is the 3870 $319! AMD, you are about to get a backhand to the right cheek!

[/patronisation] :D 

I blame the politicians, they blame each other anyway. I might as well join in.
a c 119 À AMD
November 24, 2007 4:30:29 AM

I blame everyone who wants to buy the same hardware as I do. If it weren't for them demand would drop and so would the prices.
November 24, 2007 4:35:30 AM

I blame those that don't blame themselves. Wait, that means I blame myself, which means I can't blame myself, which means... oh darn...
November 24, 2007 4:46:29 AM

jaguarskx said:
I blame everyone who wants to buy the same hardware as I do. If it weren't for them demand would drop and so would the prices.

Of course. But I ask again -

When's the last time a card debuted at a certain price and shot up over 20% almost immediately? The 8800 GT and 3870 certainly aren't the first higly anticipated cards to ever be released.

That's what irritates people; especially those who aren't rich. And you can't blame them for feeling like that.

I think deep down inside we all know we get screwed every day. All we ask is that it doesn't get shoved in our faces.
November 24, 2007 5:26:36 AM

Lol @ random.

First, neweggs servers can't handle the traffic so I can't veryfiy this myself :( .

And If you think that is bad, just walk into any Best buy. They are notorious for jacking up the prices vs online retailers by 50% or more. They have gotten better, especially with the 8800GT and 3870.

Still, here is an example of why i shop online ( I would never buy this card, but it is an example)
Newegg:
VisionTek Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB - 152.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Best Buy:
VisionTek Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB - 229.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8358804&p...

$77 more at best buy.

Which yields a 50.3% mark up over newegg's price. Also, newegg did not pay 152.99 for the card, they marked it up as well. Best buy likely got a similar price, which means the mark up for best buy is higher. Is BB profit higher? Yes, but it is at the expense of the customer. IE Newegg is more customer friendly. Besides, you don't have to deal with the retards who know crap about technology at newegg.

Even if you factor in $7 shipping (worst case), the % markup on neweggs price is: 43.8%

AMD does not increase prices. No manufacturer does. Only the retailers do. You can buy the 8800GT from EVGA for its MSRP, or very close to it.
November 24, 2007 10:59:59 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
:o  :o  :na:  :D  :p  :lol:  :cry:  :bounce:  :kaola:  :kaola:  LOL
November 24, 2007 11:51:59 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

I think we get this kind of topic enough to warrant a sticky...
November 24, 2007 12:19:29 PM

randomizer said:
I blame those that don't blame themselves. Wait, that means I blame myself, which means I can't blame myself, which means... oh darn...

I blame those who buy a lot of units, just to sell them all to super inflated prices in ebay.
and thus confirm that ppl are willing to pay high to big companies, and then companies like newegg.com etc.. will get "smart" by increasing their prices even further :|
November 24, 2007 1:50:54 PM

xkm1948 said:

Umm....what do AMD's quad cores have to do with the 3870's?
November 24, 2007 1:56:32 PM

The retailers are killing AMD by jacking up prices on the 3870.I was going to buy a 3870 because of the $75 price difference between that and the 8800GT.If the two are going to cost the same price,then I will go with the 8800GT.AMD priced them to undercut NVIDIA and to gain market share thru the holidays.It will cost AMD alot of sales if both cards cost the same,with the 8800GT winning in all the benchmarks.
November 24, 2007 2:52:14 PM

Supply and demand increases suck, but at least it's drawing a line in the sand for nV and AMD showing what consumers will deal with and wont deal with. Higher demand for a fast/cheap/low power graphics card will hopefully keep nV and AMD in the labs on the next gen series.
November 24, 2007 3:14:50 PM

This is one of the reasons why I stopped shopping with NewEgg.
November 24, 2007 4:04:37 PM

Everyone hates this supply and demand concept, so does it mean everyone hates capitalism? In a communist country all the prices are the same everywhere around...along with all the wages :D 
November 24, 2007 9:54:14 PM

Supply and Demand is used to understand economics on a large scale, what Newegg does is more like gouging.
November 24, 2007 10:02:52 PM

Democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
-- Winston Churchill
November 24, 2007 10:16:00 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Everyone hates this supply and demand concept, so does it mean everyone hates capitalism? In a communist country all the prices are the same everywhere around...along with all the wages :D 

You forgot to mention the ultra-**** selection they have too!
November 24, 2007 10:22:38 PM

tbiggums said:
Democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
-- Winston Churchill
Technically speaking the USA not a Democracy it is a Republic.

ThisNation.com--Is the United States a democracy?
November 24, 2007 10:23:43 PM

I posted this from Wikipedia:

Price gouging is a frequently pejorative reference to a seller's asking a price that is much higher than what is seen as 'fair' under the circumstances. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a felony that applies in some of the United States only during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In colloquial usage, it means simply that the speaker thinks the price is too high. Non-pejorative uses are generally in reaction to what the writer believes is an unjustified restraint on the market.

As a criminal offense, Florida's law is reasonably typical. Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency. The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent. It is a defense to show that the price increase mostly reflects increased costs, such as running an emergency generator, or hazard pay for workers.

It has nothing to do with video cards (so what you think they cost too much)..................Welcome to your life.........The world owes you nothing no matter what your circumstances are....if you don't like them then do some thing about it. That is the great thing about free will you have the ability to change your circumstances and then you can buy all the video cards you want. In the mean time think of all the people who don't even have clean water to drink, medicine, or other essentials and they can't change their circumstances. You are acting like a raving spoiled brat over a video card.............get out more you need to experience life some.

November 24, 2007 11:16:36 PM

I think someone was just trying to start a flame war....
November 24, 2007 11:16:53 PM

Zorg said:
Technically speaking the USA not a Democracy it is a Republic.

The two are not mutually exclusive. We are both.
November 25, 2007 3:34:07 AM

kukito said:
The two are not mutually exclusive. We are both.
Do not misunderstand the difference. It is critical.
November 25, 2007 9:33:48 AM

caamsa said:
I posted this from Wikipedia:

Price gouging is a frequently pejorative reference to a seller's asking a price that is much higher than what is seen as 'fair' under the circumstances. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a felony that applies in some of the United States only during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In colloquial usage, it means simply that the speaker thinks the price is too high. Non-pejorative uses are generally in reaction to what the writer believes is an unjustified restraint on the market.

As a criminal offense, Florida's law is reasonably typical. Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency. The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent. It is a defense to show that the price increase mostly reflects increased costs, such as running an emergency generator, or hazard pay for workers.

It has nothing to do with video cards (so what you think they cost too much)..................Welcome to your life.........The world owes you nothing no matter what your circumstances are....if you don't like them then do some thing about it. That is the great thing about free will you have the ability to change your circumstances and then you can buy all the video cards you want. In the mean time think of all the people who don't even have clean water to drink, medicine, or other essentials and they can't change their circumstances. You are acting like a raving spoiled brat over a video card.............get out more you need to experience life some.
I don't have the energy or the desire to argue the point with you.

gouging - Definitions from Dictionary.com

You decide whether it fits.

gouge
4. an act of extortion; swindle.
9. to extort from, swindle, or overcharge.
10. to engage in swindling, overcharging, or the like: I bought my clothes there before they began gouging.

November 26, 2007 12:36:24 AM

Zorg said:
I don't have the energy or the desire to argue the point with you.

gouging - Definitions from Dictionary.com

You decide whether it fits.

gouge
4. an act of extortion; swindle.
9. to extort from, swindle, or overcharge.
10. to engage in swindling, overcharging, or the like: I bought my clothes there before they began gouging.

You do understand though that there are laws in place regarding this and if a law was being broken legal action would/could be taken. This follows more along the lines of supply and demand. This person simply has "sour grapes" and is using the term "Price Gouging" in an informal way.
November 26, 2007 1:21:56 AM

I think I was the one that used the term price gouging in lieu of the term supply and demand. There are no laws governing inordinately higher prices by a vendor of computer equipment that I know of. They just won't sell any. I was just commenting on how the price of "x" hardware tends to jump around wildly on Newegg's site, for no discernible reason, and not on the competition's sites. These price gyrations can occur within hours of each other. This could be construed as gouging. Not illegal gouging, just plain old gouging. I personally believe that the algorithm that they are using to set the prices is a little out of whack. I like Newegg, but I still check around to be sure I'm not getting fleeced.
November 26, 2007 5:39:20 AM

Zorg said:
Supply and Demand is used to understand economics on a large scale, what Newegg does is more like gouging.

Supply and Demand apply to both small and large scale, and across micro and macro economic situations.

As long as there is multiple buyers or multiple sellers dealing with limited resources it applies.

What do you think motivates price gouging if not a scarcity of resources and/or an abundance of demand ? :heink: 
November 26, 2007 8:22:14 AM

"Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency"

Damn xmas holliday....
November 26, 2007 1:00:03 PM

rosu9801 said:
"Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency"

Damn xmas holliday....
If you were responding to me, read my last two posts.
!