Sign in with
Your question

Help with my e6750 overclock please....

Last response: in Overclocking
March 21, 2008 7:34:29 PM

I guess I'm what you would call a noob here, and I was hoping someone could give me a hand...

I recently purchased a new computer, and after doing a lot of reading and debating, I decided to experiment with overclocking. I've currently got my e6750 running at 3.4 ghz, and I'm pretty happy with that speed, but I think it can go higher.

I have my FSB set to 425 with a multiplier of 8 and my memory is at a 1:1 ratio. It passed memtest 3 times without errors and ran orthos without problems for 18 hours, so it seems pretty stable at these settings. If I try to go much higher, though, stability becomes an issue and it won't pass memtest (fails at test 4), though it will boot into Vista at both 3.5 and 3.6 ghz (and fail orthos in under 10 seconds).

So I admit, my memory is cheap; the cheapest 2 gig sticks of pc6400 memory I could find. It seems as though this is my limiting factor, but I'd like to hear any advice from some of the pros around here that may help me push it higher.

Right now, aside from the memory being at a 1:1 ratio with 5-5-5-15 timings, it is running at 2.2 volts in bios (vdroop on this board takes it to 2.0 under load in Vista 64) and I had to raise the TRFC from 36 to 40 to acheive stability. Neither raising volts or loosening timings any further seems to help with stability, so it may be a lost cause to try for higher, but again, if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it.

My vcore at these settings is at 1.35 volts in bios, with both northbridge and FSB vtt set to auto under voltages. EIST is enabled (though I disable it when going for higher clocks), and temps in speedfan (with the 15 degree offsets) register about 26 at idle and @ 57 -58 average under load.

Here is my rig:
E6750 @ 3.4 GHZ
TRUE 120 with Scythe Kaze Jyuni fan
MSI P35 Neo mobo
8 GB super talent PC6400 memory 1:1, 5-5-5-15
Hitachi 320 GB HDD
XFX 8800gt 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition @ 680/1680/950
Corsair TX650W PSU
Xplode case
Vista 64

If I need to provide more info, please ask. If it is a lost cause, let me know, because I'm actually happy at this speed, but would like to go higher (3.6 GHZ seems so snappy until Orthos crashes :)  ).

More about : e6750 overclock

March 21, 2008 10:15:11 PM

I think you may be fighting a lost battle with your RAM, just as you suspect. My DDR2 800 wont go over 850mhz stable, just like yours.
March 21, 2008 10:42:42 PM

Yeah, I'm beginning to come to grips with that as well. I've experimented a bit more, 3.44 is the highest I can get with these timings and voltage (I still haven't put this setting through the full range of tests, but preliminary results look stable), but once again, loosening timings and upping voltage doesn't help (not to mention I don't want to raise mem voltages too much because even though the ram is cheap, I don't want them to die either).

OK, so if I want to go higher, I probably need to invest in better ram, but how much higher could I go? I've seen various reports of stable 3.6 ghz OCs with the e6750 - would it be worth the extra money for better ram to get 200 mhz? I'm thinking no.....

Another quick question... My TRUE keeps the processor cooler at OC settings than the stock cooler kept it at stock settings (it was hitting 66-68 degrees under load with the stock cooler at stock speed) - and the vcore is within Intel's voltage specs (1.35), so have I effectively increased both my speed and the life of my CPU by investing in the TRUE? Or will the slightly (very slightly) increased voltage still reduce the life of my CPU? I couldn't really find a great answer to this question in my readings...
Related resources
March 23, 2008 3:22:59 AM

Raising the voltage will hasten electro-migration, as does heat. Thus to slow the process of electro-migration down, you either have to lower the voltage or decrease the temps. Staying within Intel specs will pretty much guarantee 3 years, usually more, so don't worry about it.
March 23, 2008 6:38:22 PM

That's the unfortunate part of a low CPU multiplier like we have :( 

Also the reason I splurged for the 1066 Dominator. The quad I'll end up putting in (if they ever come out!) will have a similar multi, so I tried to plan ahead a little.

As far as spending money on RAM to get past 3.4, I would say it's not worth it. You will most likely only be able to get to 3.6 overall even with 1066 RAM. Not really worth the extra expense.
March 23, 2008 11:25:39 PM

Thaks for the replies, Evil and Thanatos. :) 

Thanatos, your boys put a beatin' on the razorbacks today... Wow... And yeah, I'm thinking the extra expense isn't woth it until I upgrade to a newer CPU (probably in a year or so). It's plenty fast for me now anyway.

Thanks again, guys!

!