9800 uses PCI-E 2.0?? Will that work for my ASUS Crosshair??

I was looking at the specs for the Nvidia 9800 gtx and was surprised to see that it now uses PCI-E 2.0. What I understand that it has something to do with the amount of data that can be transfered...which im guesssing is now greater but will it still work in my system? My system specs are below.

Thanksss guys!!
9 answers Last reply
More about 9800 work asus crosshair
  1. It should work, but where did you find the specs of the 9800GTX? I haven't even heard the confirmed name of the GPU, let alone specs of the card.
  2. yes of course it will work....just at PCI-E 1.0 speeds. Don't worry though, it won't bottleneck that card at all. There aren't any cards out there that are even close to saturating a PCI-E 1.0 16x slot. I really am not even sure why the industry has chosento go to 2.0. But that answers your question. I too would like to know where you found the 9800 specs!
  3. emp said:
    It should work, but where did you find the specs of the 9800GTX? I haven't even heard the confirmed name of the GPU, let alone specs of the card.

probably the old specs before they found that the G92 was actully 8800GT
  4. But I would assume they didn't backtrack to PCIe 1.0 with the 9800GTX, even if those where G92 specs. :lol:
  5. well there are many threads all over google about the 9800 but here is the first that I saw:

http://bulkbuyer.com.au/showthread.php?t=5076
  6. that sucks about the decrease in speed...that was an expensive motherboard. :(
  7. Even though we know for a fact that nvidia will release a next gen card, we have no confirmation of it, we don't even know if it'll be a Geforce 9 or Geforce at all. We know less about this next gen than what we did about the 8800GT 4 months ago.

The reason that they made PCIe 2.0 so early is the same reason we have SATAII and as I last heard we were also getting SATAIII in the not so distant future. The developers don't want to hinder performance because of a bottleneck as stupid as an interface.
  8. ryanthesav said:
    that sucks about the decrease in speed...that was an expensive motherboard. :(

The decrease in speed will be really tiny, todays cards cant harness the full speed of our current Bus, so don't expect to be left behind.
    I bought a striker Extreme 680i safe in the knowledge that it pisses on anything else out there in terms of raw performance, regardless of it's numerous instabilities, people really dont need to worry about PCIe 2.0 until GPU's can properly harness what it offers.
  9. whats going on here?

When I read the OP, I was gonna back hand him for being so behind the curve.

But now I see that Mr. J Hendy just bumped an old thread. You are about 3 months behind, Hendy...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus PCI Express Graphics