Defrag worthwhile on NTFS drive?

G

Hi all,

I've been defragging my harddrive using the windows defrag tool on a regular basis ever since I can remember, but a friend of mine suggested the other day that it might not be necessary on an NTFS partition. Is this true? I've never really had a problem with my PC slowing down or anything, and was convinced that this was partly due to my defragging habits! Am i wasting my time?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
It still benefits just not as much as clumsy old FAT partitions.

Id suggest taking a look at the free Ultimate Defrag, seems much better than windows one, and prettier graphical representations too

G

Thanks guys! Is there any way to keep my drive defragmented without having to run the program all the time? ie: something that keeps the drive defragmented in the background? Its annoying having to do it manually the whole time! :p

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Only thing i can think of is use "task scheduler" as your friend. Im fairly certain that windows defrag has switches that can be used on boot that will start the defrag, set your task scheduler a task to start at say 12midnight once a week or something and voila.

nabuhonodozor

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
You can use JKDefrag which I found great. Its command line tool but theres a Gui for it. You can also install it as a screensaver which is ideal for such an tool.
Best,

DiskeeperRep

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks guys! Is there any way to keep my drive defragmented without having to run the program all the time? ie: something that keeps the drive defragmented in the background? Its annoying having to do it manually the whole time! :p

Well, Diskeeper 2008 is a fully automatic solution that defragments in the background using unutilized system resources. (And no, it does not defrag 24x7, only when required). Due to it's resource utilization technology, it will never affect running programs/processes. Set it once and you'll never need to defrag manually.

Best regards :)
----------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper corporation
----------------------------

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Hmmmm. I've been using Diskkeeper for a few years now. I recently read an article that tested Diskkeeper against other defrag apps. They found only minimal increase in performance in some of the software. However, they found NO BENEFIT to using Diskkeeper. It performed worst of the group tested. Actually, it didn't make any difference in performance. Needless to say, I stopped using Diskkeeper a few minutes ago, but haven't noticed any slowdown in performance

If I can find the link I will post it here.

Odd I read an article from Windows IT pro magazine that compared Disk keeper to 3 other defragmentors and diskkeeper came up on top. However the price was pretty steep compared to the others.

I will admit they picked another product as their choice due to the price being 300 % cheaper. I forget the product name. I even tested it out and it worked pretty good. Problem with it though is it couldn't defrag the drive with 2% storage space available. Diskkeeper did defrag the drive with 2% drive space however.

It really depends on what features you need but generally they ALL do the same thing.