Please Help a Computer Virgin!?

Sigoren

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and computers in general.
I wanna get the
8800 GT
and probably the Intel 6850 or maybe the (AMD 6400+ since I have no clue about OCing)
And I have absolutely no Idea about the rest.
I'll be buying all my parts from Canada Computers,
So can you guys take at their website and tell me which case, PSU, motherboard, Memory and Hardrive I need.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Usually helps if you add your budget, what you want the PC for and what OS your most likely to use. Gives people a starting point for parts.
As for the 8800 GT don't you have to do a last man standing fistycuffs with thousands of people to actually get one of them at the moment

Sigoren

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for Replying guys!
I'll be using Windows XP
and my budget will be around 1000 Canadian.
As far as OCing goes, I think I'll do a little of it, so I guess I'll stick to the
E6850.

Sigoren

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks a lot Maziar! You're the man!

Can u recommend a cheaper PC case? I don't wanna shell out 200 bucks on a freaking case!

Sigoren

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I just looked at the specs of the case. It has good ventilation, is it worth getting just that case rather than a much cheaper case and a cooler?

Stock or mild OC ( 0 - 20%) - stock Intel HSF is adequate, especially if you have a case/fans setup that is good at moving air through a case. Antec 900 case seems to be pretty good at cooling, but reportedly, they also seem to be noisy. There's a trade-off between cooling and noise.

Moderate OC (say 20 - 40%) - hard to beat the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Serious OC (like as far as it will go) - you will need something like a Tuniq 120 or ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme, especially if you decide on a quad core CPU.

When you build, I recommend installing the CPU, HSF, and memory before you install the motherboard. It's easy to improperly install an HSF and memory modules sometime take a lot of pressure to install.

I also recommend breadboarding the PC parts befor you install them in the case. That lets you confirm you have good parts before you install them in the case.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
No, you don't want a cheap case...I regret getting a case equivalent of USD28 (here somewhere in Malaysia )...almost cut my finger and the ventilation is not good :( (even though if it's better than other cheaper cheapo cases)...The only plus is, it can accommodate up to 1 x 120mm rear fan , 2 x 80mm + 1 x 92mm fan

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I have the Thermaltake Armor case and it is huge. but it keeps my parts cool. even my quad with a zalman 9500. it push's alot of air my raptor temps are at 30c at all time's i like how it looks. everybody that has seen this case is like holy sh!t. i love it. its a good case. not loud. the fronts pantals have vents holes in them with a filter with all of them but the top one.

usktech

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
man i know this reply is totaly misplaced and useless for you, but why do you play oblivion??? go for something like CSS of something from VALVE. but if you like MMORPG style games just buy one with acceptable graphics!

srry guys just this topic kinda blows me up.
-usk

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

I second this one ...

well i dont know what to say to u firetatoo ? what do u mean by that ?
if u dont know then u better know that THERMALTAKE ARMOR is a solid case which can handle 2 8800ULTRAs and has space for more cards + lots of slots for hdds + lots of fans which provides very good cooling

so if someone has the money its worth to get it , but when someone like him is on budget then that coolermaster looks fine

G

Not many people run 2 Ultras and 5 hdds. Most people run 1 card and 1 hdd. They don't need that much space.

TRENDING THREADS