SK711G

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I was an idiot and didnt take any of my cert test while I was in school and im trying to get back in to the IT swing of things. So I'm wondering if any one knows what the best guide for passing CompTIA A+ certification.

thx
SKG

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Honestly, the one that won't bore you to death while reading it is the A+ for Dummies. It tells you everything that the other books do, but it's not written like an instruction booklet.

It was a nice refresher before taking the test.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
im taking A+ classes at this academy that Fairfax county pays for it, meaning that is free for me cuz im still in high school!!!! besides the teachers saw that i have a great future on A+ so they decided to put me on that class =] so good luck for you hommie

I would not say that. When I took it in 2002 I failed the hardware portion the first time around, but got it the second time. (I was in high school though)

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I'll agree that it's a relatively easy test. However, there are some things in most of the study guides that you WILL need to read. Such as:
IRQ Assignments
DMA Assignments
Order of execution for startup files in NT, 2000, XP
Inner workings of the laser printing process

There are only a few questions on some of the more obscure things, but depending on your comfort level with the rest of the test, they can mean passing or failing.

junglicious

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Maybe not in some people eyes, but for me A+ is a joke. Even if you pass it doesn't really mean you know what your suppose to know. It does however look good for employment because HR are don't know any better.

btw, there is a test program out there that is exactly like the A+ test.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Junglicious, do you have a link to a free test? I wouldn't mind just seeing where I stack up taking it blind (without any studying)

thanks

bc

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
jung...you could say that about any certification. I know many MCSE that don't deserve the paper that their certifications are printed on. It's all a farce anyway. Certifications aren't the end-all-be-all of employment considerations. They are just an easy way for an employer to see that at least this person is motivated enough to care to take classes or get certs. A+ is a good place to start. Then MCDST, and CCNA or Net+. All of these, however minor, look good on a resume.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The CCNA is a great one to try and grab.
Also an MCP and an MCSE.

However, CCNAs are more rare.

Exam Cram makes good books for all of the classes.

The tough part with many of the tests, especially the MS Exams, is that the answer to the test does not always correlate with what is true. That is why the study guides are so important.

junglicious

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007

Its been awhile and I don't think I have that program any more. You can try to search for it on google. There is also a paper version of it, two parts, A+ OS and A+ Core. Besically its a Q&A (a,b,c,d) with the answers of course.

Than - I know where you are coming from. However working for a big corporation and having people come in with the certs but no real knowledge of it is laughable. Even people who have their engineering degree aren't that knowledgeable and look stupid when they try to play the part. Now in no way am I saying do not get these certs, get them all if you can. Got to start somewhere =)

Zoya Mughal

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
The GMAT is the Graduate Management Admission Test, a standardized test required by the vast majority of business schools because it provides a measure of an applicant's academic ability. The GMAT test does not include any questions that gauge your business knowledge.

VMware