upgradeing a compaq presario PC

amateur

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Hi All,

I am having a compaq presario 6201IL desktop.I had bought it in December,2003.I will give you its current specifications:

AMD Athlon 1800+,1.53 Ghz
384 mb DDR Ram
40 GB HDD
4X AGP slot( with no graphics card :)
Windows XP pro

For detailed specifications please check the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bpb11691&lc=en&cc=in&dlc=en&product=241777&lang=en

It is an old system and requires a massive overhaul.I had only upgraded the RAM from 128 mb to 384 mb a couple of years ago.It probably requires a processor upgrade, RAM upgrade, graphics card .I had bought a 500 watt PSU that could suite these needs.
I am concerned about the compatibility issues that may arise if I do not buy the right components.Do let me know of any components that could fit well, irrespective of the price.

Could you guys help me out with this.

Cheers,

tlmck

Distinguished
There is nothing upgradeable about your old system, unless it is one of those few Compaq's that use standard components. This would mean you could reuse the Compaq case with the new power supply.

You would be best served by using the new power supply to start an entirely new system. Depending on your budget and usage needs, you could have a decent new system for as little as $300-$400. If your current copy of Windows came pre-installed, you would need a new copy of that as well.

In addition to the budget, it would help to know the brand and model number of the new power supply. If it is to poor quality, it really does not matter what the wattage rating is. Modern systems need good quality power to operate properly. If it is of middling quality, it would probably be OK for a low end system.

You could always sell or donate the old system, or give it further life as strictly an internet or Linux box.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
There is no point to upgrading your old system.If you even can.In my experience,COMPAC is very proprietary when it come to hardware.In fact your system is so outgated,the no current agp cards will run properly,if at all on that board.I'm not trying to be critical of your system,just realistic.In all honesty,with prices as low as they are for computer hardware,it makes more sense to build a new system for a few hundered dollars that will hand your current systems head to you on a silver platter.Besides,I find it rather exciting when I build a new system.Especialy when everything goes off without a hitch.So have some fun and spend some money,and build a system to your liking.Look at it as a challenge.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1350
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK