Linux on IPAQ

June 5, 2005 1:07:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....

I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

More about : linux ipaq

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:43:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

"hizark21@yahoo.com" wrote in message
<1117940513.298640.42650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:
> I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
> was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.

What sort of "thoughts" would you like?

> I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
> flexibilty that I need.

I can not see the flexibility problem, really. Maybe the Zaurus is a little
bigger, but it is also technically a lot better.

> The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
> popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....

That is the problem with the Zaurus: it is more expensive.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:55:45 PM

hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
> was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
> I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
> flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
> popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....
>
> I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

http://www.handhelds.org will give you all information required.

Oliver
June 6, 2005 6:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On 4 Jun 2005 21:07:36 -0700, "hizark21@yahoo.com"
<hizark21@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
>was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.

I don't have any specific comments, but I just used google
(http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
ipaq linux
and got 13,300 hits. Way too much for most folks to wade through, but
you can probably find a better search string for you needs pretty
quickly.

I have not paid much attention, but I think dual boot is unlikely.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:49:52 PM

hizark21@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a IPAQ and creating a dual boot system. I
> was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running Linux on a IPAQ.
> I was considering a Sharp Zaurus, but I don't feel it will give me the
> flexibilty that I need. The other reason is that Zaurus is not as
> popular so I figure one can get a IPAQ cheaper on Ebay....
>
> I was also wondering what is a good model to purchase.

http://www.handhelds.org

Opie, Qtopia, GPE, Pixil, Debian...
A lot of solutions to run Linux on most (old?) iPaq. Btw, nothing as good as
Pocket PC if you just want to use your iPaq like a PDA. I mean if you want
to sync with Windows Applications or use the PDA as a first computer (if
you don't have unix knowledge) you will be in trouble.

Linux is ready to be a good embedded OS but nobody has done a good and easy
to use user interface so far. And when you try to convince people or ask
for help to design one, a few big bad-tempered doorkeepers come to you and
start "big trolling attacks"!

Welcome to the 21th century.

--
Revenge is a cold meal but... it's so good! So take your time to prepare it!
!