Sign in with
Your question

New video card needed to run 22'' @ 1680x1050?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2007 5:15:06 PM

I bought the Envision H22W 22'' LCD from Best Buy the other day for my parents who have an old Dell with integrated video and after setting up the monitor the native resolution isn't an option in the display settings. I was just wondering if they need a new video card to run the video @ the native resolution of 1680 x 1050? Right now the text doesn't look as clear as it should.

So if anyone knows what the cheapest video card needed to run this would be please let me know. I do not know what type of slot they have so if the cheap video card has a PCI version that would be nice, although they might have AGP, so any comments are accepted!

Thanks guys
November 24, 2007 8:12:20 PM

Knowing the slot type would help. I'm assuming you want to display a STATIC 1680 by 1050 image. It would take a new, expensive video card and a modern CPU to push games at 1680 by 1050.

Anyhow nearly any video card will do at least 1680 by 1050, here is a list of PCI (not PCIe) cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

And here are AGP cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Hmmm widescreen might be an issue? Seems like you can type in a custom res so long as it is not over your vid cards maximum.
November 24, 2007 8:21:37 PM

Actually you might not even need a vid card, only a custom resolution on the stock one. What is the stock cards max resolution?
Related resources
November 25, 2007 12:52:54 AM

The stock cards max resolution was 1900x1200 I believe, but I'm not on it so I will check on that later tonight. And yes it would be a static image since it is for my parents they don't play any video games or anything. The most they would do is play scrabble and I guess they watch TV shows on it too, but shouldn't be that bad at all.
November 25, 2007 1:10:44 AM

OK you might just need to type in a custom resolution. Exactly what is the stock video? Or do you just want a new card anyways?
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2007 1:14:52 AM

Update the video drivers and see if that helps.

Even most old cards can still display that res, even though they can't game with it.
November 25, 2007 1:24:05 AM

jedimasterben said:
Update the video drivers and see if that helps.

Even most old cards can still display that res, even though they can't game with it.
good idea, yep
!