Northq Giant Reactor Extreme 1000 Watt - isn't handling 2x 8800GT

Gratwhol

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Hello

I just bought enough new pc parts for a homebuilt gamer pc.

Nvidia nForce 650i SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad 2,44GHz
2 Gigabytes of DDR2 RAM, 667 MHz
2x GeForce 8800GT
Northq Reactor Extreme 1000 Watt

So, me and a friend of mine built the thing. It all went fine, and Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit version was successfully installed.

However, everything isn't as it should be. I installed Crysis, and had pretty high settings on, which should work perfectly. The result? It was lagging ever more than my old computer.

We tried to remove one of the cards, to see it was better that way, but it wasn't. We reinstalled the card, and that card is making a lot of noise.

I've installed the newest drivers for the cards and all the hotfixes for Vista I could find.

The power supply should be run this system perfectly, so I'm out of clues here. What's wrong?

I'll be grateful for answers, 'cause I'm pretty disappointed right now..

<<Gratwhol>>

Set the RAM timings and voltage to MFG specs in BIOS. You might try one DIMM in slot one only and see if the system runs stable. You didn't mention what RAM you have other than PC5300? Try some other RAM if you have it. Try one DIMM in slot one only and set the voltage/timings to specs.

Gratwhol

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Well, no, Company of Heroes look like Warcraft 3...

Correct me if I'm wrong, a computer with those specs should handle Crysis perfectly fine.

But, yeah, I'll try out that tomorrow badge, and I'll post the results.

Thanks

<<Gratwhol>>

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
You're right, Company of Heroes should run fine on that machine. There are currently no computers that can handle Crysis on max settings, so don't expect that.

Try updating the BIOS on your motherboard (if you don't know how to do that consult the manual, it shouldn't be that hard).

Gratwhol

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I'm going to try update the BIOS later today. One thing though, what badger said, about the RAM voltage and timings, how many volts should I set the memory on? And the memory timings; there's so many different things to change, could anyone give me a small tutorial on how to do this with this type of memory?

Check your RAM Mfg. for recommended voltage and timings specifications. If your memory voltage in BIOS has defaulted to 1.8v in BIOS, try 1.9v. and check for better stability. Be careful not to overvolt to far, check with the Mfg. Same with the timings. In BIOS definately set the timings to Mfg. specs.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
The first thing you need to do is update the BIOS. Then mess with the RAM voltage and timings. Updating the BIOS will reset any changes you made before the update, so messing with them before updating is pointless.