What build to play last years games? I have so many questions

arkitech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I'm looking to build a system that I can play games from last year (holding out a few months before I build a dx10 gaming machine). I would like to be able play games like Oblivion, Supreme Commander, C&C 3, etc.. at a 1600x1200 resolution if possible.

Can I accomplish that with a mid range AMD dual core? (x2 4800, etc..)

What's the best midrange option for the money? AMD or Intel?

In terms of GPU power, will an 8600 card or something similar be sufficient to play the games I listed above?

Finally what kind of power supply would I need to meet the demands of a dual core processor and some of the video cards from the past couple of years?

Sorry for the noob questions and I hope I did'nt litter the board with a topic someone has already made. (I searched the board but did'nt see anything similar to what I was looking for) I'm just so behind the times in regards to my current system, I'm not sure where to even begin.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Well, it is kinda hard to say what the prices are going to be like in a few more months because so much new tech is coming out. Actually, wait a second. Is this system the DX10 machine you are talking about, or will this one just hold you over for a few months?

arkitech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the tip Skittle, I'll start looking for prices on the x1950.

Aadamszc, this will be a PC just to hold me over until next year when the prices on quads start to fall. My problem is I'm just uncertain what processor I should choose for dx9 games.

sailer

Splendid
In my opinion, the best current AMD cpu is the 5000+ Black Edition. Its selling at about $130, can be overclocked very easly, and runs fairly cool. In fact, until a lot of games get out that demand a quad and DX10, the 5000+ will do for about anything out there. I think a top video card is more important for gaming at the moment then having the top cpu. Either a 8800GT or a 3870 should not be a lot more money than a X1950, but would deliver a far better performance and you can transfer such a video card to a new build later on if you desire.

Just my opinion.