Computer Randomly Rebooting

Syrik

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
not sure where to put this thread, and sorry if its been answered, but friends computer is still randomly rebooting useing windows vista. I thought it might be the thermal grease cause i had to remove the HS/F earlyer but put new grease on and still rebooting, and at no certain time. Trying a new HDD now and only 1 stick of ram, just not sure why its rebooting while in windows, cant get updates installed, start looking on web and then it reboots, not getting anywhere

AMd 2600 xp
asus A7n8x-x Motherboard
2gig pc3200 ram
4500 ti vid card
300 watt PSU (useing this watt power supply in faster computer and seems to be enough)

thanks for any help

applejuice85

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Is the machine rebooting due to a blue screen? Have you disabled the automatically reboot on blue screen error? Have you ensured every driver is up to date?

I would check my system logs and look for errors. I would also see if I could generate the error consistently.

Syrik

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
not sure where to disable the reboot on bluescreen, i noticed on the error it saying something about blue screen , but when i tryed to click on the check online for a solution it would start going and then nothing came up or it would rebootl. tryed downloading updates and it just would hang at downloading updates screen. currently reformatting and installing 1st thing im going to try is the updates, then ill try to get updated drivers