Please help with overclocking my Q6600

rsplatpc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Running a Asus P5N-D mobo, 800mhz RAM.

I want to get his processer to 3.0 gig.

The only setting I have changed are my FSB and RAM speed.

Steeping up slowly the best I can get is FSB to 1195 with RAM at 533, giving me 2.69 ghz

If I go to 1200FSB I get a exception error after POST

What should I do now to get my FSB faster? All voltages and memory timing are set to auto. I have tried doing 5-5-5-15 and it always gives me a exception error, the only success I have had is putting the memory at 533 and slowly stepping up the FSB. I really want to hit 3.0, any suggestions?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
For a start, there's a great guide for overclocking in this thread.

Now onto the meat. For a start, ditch the auto voltages, they're never healthy. Set your RAM to 2.1v (or whatever it's rated to run at) and find out the stock voltage of your Q6600. I don't know what FSB you're changing but you're aiming for a CPU FSB of 333 MHz (333 MHz x 9 multiplier = 3.0 GHz) with RAM at 667 MHz (it looks like you want to get a 1:1 going on there so that's the best way).

Assuming you have 800 MHz RAM, 667 with loose timings will be just fine and won't need tweaking until it's stable.

Another thing to make sure you do is set your PCI-E clock to 100 MHz, otherwise it might scale up with your CPU and do nasty things to your graphics card.

Start upping the FSB slowly, again make sure it's the CPU FSB until it refuses to post. Go back to the most recent setting that worked, and up the voltage 1 step. Repeat until you get minimum voltage required for the system to start up at a FSB rating of 333 MHz. Test stability with Prime95, keeping an eye on temperatures, and if needs be up the voltage another step in order to make it more stable.

After your CPU is stable, bring down your RAM voltage until it won't go lower without becoming unstable.

Good luck :)

- Kraynor

Running a Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz since August 2007 :)