Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mouse Cursor Freezes Every Few Minutes

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2007 6:02:26 PM

Hey guys,

This forum was really helpful in helping me custom build a new system.

I got a problem I've been experiencing lately. I'm not sure what set it off. It's a new computer, specs are:

Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo
Intel Q6600
XFX 8800GT
WD 7200RPM 500GB HD

Basically, no matter what I'm doing, every few minutes my mouse cursor will freeze and I can't move the mouse for 1-3 seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm on Internet Explorer, playing StarCraft, or playing Crysis. If I'm not playing a game, (i.e. browsing windows or internet) when the mouse freezes I can often see the little Vista "busy" circle (formerly hourglass) next to the cursor, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the mouse itself, rather something else going on in the background. I haven't installed much lately other than Office XP, but I've shutoff the startup entry under msconfig.

Also yesterday, I tried to install the nVidia 168.09 beta drivers for the 64-bit Vista, and it failed miserably. I lost picture, so I had to reboot to safe mode and rollback to 169.02. That being said, I think I was experiencing the problem even before the driver change.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Due to input I received on another message board, I downloaded and ran a utility from MS TechNet called Process Monitor. It is very difficult to catch which reg entry/file system/process entry occurs at the exact time of the mouse freeze because they scroll by the hundreds or thousands. After spending a good deal of time, I 'think' I'm getting some BUFFER OVERFLOW's in the "Result" column around the time the mouse freezes. I've seen BUFFER OVERFLOW's on svchost.exe, on monsync.exe, and maybe on one other process. Again, it's hard to be sure since theres so many entries scrolling by, and I can't find a way to sort the entries by column heading.

I ran a virus scan using Kapersky's free online scan, and nothing came up.

Also, Event Viewer shows no errors.
November 16, 2007 6:16:20 PM

Disable your network card temporarily and see if the problem goes away. If it goes away when you disable your network card then try updating the driver.Hope this helps.Good luck.
November 16, 2007 6:32:01 PM

I tried disabling the network driver under Device Manager, and I still had the error. 8(

I did not have the issue when the system was first setup, it developed about a week ago.
Related resources
November 16, 2007 7:25:29 PM

Hmm...did not find anything there related to my particular problem. I ran Kapersky's free online virus scan and it did not pick anything up.

This is a new system, about a couple of weeks old. Of course theres is always the possibility, but I didn't think I had contracted a virus.
November 16, 2007 7:31:33 PM

Would you loose a lot of data if you re-installed your OS? Perhaps you can backup your data and start with a fresh install. Just a suggestion.
November 16, 2007 7:44:02 PM

Yes, that is what I'm considering right now. I wouldn't loose a whole lot, so it won't be too bad.

But I didn't actually build this system myself. I ordered the parts and had someone build it and install windows. I'm sure reinstall is pretty easy though right? I did an XP re-install a few years ago. Just backup files, put in the Windows disk, and restart computer. Reinstall windows, and then when you get to desktop, start installing all the drivers for MOBO, On-board audio (drivers are probably included with MOBO drivers?), and video, and on-board network?

Again, this is a last ditch option. Hopefully it won't come to this. I would still like to solve the problem itself.
November 16, 2007 7:55:18 PM

Yup that's right. :-) Good luck. Hope it solves the problem.
November 16, 2007 8:02:25 PM

Would you by any chance have bluetooth on your pc ?
I noticed a similar bug a few times with my dinovo desktop laser.
My bluetooth tray icon went from blue to white for a few seconds and then back.
I removed the Logitech and bluetooth drivers and it went away.

After a reinstalling (without bluetooth) it was gone (my motherboard is a GA-P35-DS3P).

I also noticed that if I have a usbdisk on the same USB cable as the bluetooth controller the mouse stutters quite a bit (annoying as hell).
November 16, 2007 8:29:22 PM

Nope no Bluetooth, but I have narrowed it down to the mouse. I hooked up a PS2 mouse, and I haven't had the problem yet.

So its either the Logitech MX510 mouse, or the USB ports. How can I find out?
November 16, 2007 8:49:32 PM

Use the mouse on a PS2 port thru an adapter
have you tried using a different usb port ?

My mx1000 stutters if there is an usbdrive present in the paired usb port, so maybe it lags because it's "busy".
November 16, 2007 8:52:03 PM

DeusDeus22 said:
Nope no Bluetooth, but I have narrowed it down to the mouse. I hooked up a PS2 mouse, and I haven't had the problem yet.

So its either the Logitech MX510 mouse, or the USB ports. How can I find out?

Try your mouse using a usb to ps2 adapter.
November 16, 2007 9:48:56 PM

I switched the mouse to a USB port shared with the printer, instead of the one shared with the keyboard. Seems to work ok for now...
November 17, 2007 2:52:44 AM

Glad you got it sorted DeusDeus22. Did you end up doing the re-install? Hope not!
November 17, 2007 6:08:46 AM

Nope, just a simple mouse port switch. 8) Thanks for your input guys!
November 17, 2007 6:35:11 AM

I actually had a bad wireless mouse (G7) and called Logitech and they sent me a G9 for FREE! :D 
May 5, 2008 9:18:54 PM

I've had the same problem with my laptop since I bought it several months ago. The cursor freezes , sometimes requiring reboot. I've ruled out the BIOS, startup programs, services, malware, drivers. Someone on another forum (sorry, I can't remember which one) said that it is probably too much ram dedicated to video when the dedicated video ram on the malfuntioning machine is fixed at 256K.
May 27, 2008 11:08:06 PM

I had same problem. I removed logitech driver and switched to microsoft driver and it seemed to work well. I think it is glitch in the logitech driver which caused the problem. I am not fan of microsoft but this time it worked well for me. I would say half cudo for microsoft for a change.
Anonymous
March 30, 2010 12:28:41 AM

What worked for me:
I went to "Device Manager" (rt-click "My Computer", select "Properties", from the pop-up window select "Device Manager")
Once in "Device Manager" (click on "view" and put a check-mark by "show hidden devices")
Next expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" tree by clicking it. (select the PS2 mouse & Keyboard and disable them)
NOTE: this is assuming you are using the Human Interface Device [USB mouse and keyboard as my machine has]

I had choppy mouse response and once in a while the mouse would hang and not move for a few seconds. I did notice that the
same sound that occurs when a new usb device was plugged in often noted the arival of the delay and I too would get the vista time symbol. With the PS2 devices disabled no such interruptions.

Just remember to re-enable the devices if you switch back to ps2 keyboard or mouse.
June 1, 2010 4:49:08 PM

cfvh600 said:
Would you loose a lot of data if you re-installed your OS? Perhaps you can backup your data and start with a fresh install. Just a suggestion.

Hello cfvh600...

I'm having the exact problem with my mouse freezing up as DeusDeus22... and even when I tried to reinstall a new WinXP OS in SAFE MODE, my mouse froze!! I'm thinking I may have a virus or worm, as you suggest. I just recently reconnected my laptop to the internet after a 2 yrs. absence and noticed this problem after downloading and renewing a fresh copy of Avast anti-virus. I'm thinking of first buying the Kapersky Anti-Virus -- being that I also get frozen when on the Net -- then if that fails...I'll probably consider throwing my laptop into that current oil spill in the Gulf. Thanks for any help U can give me. ---Rico DaBaron
May 29, 2011 7:32:53 PM

I have this EXACT SAME PROBLEM on my year old Windows Vista 64-bit Gateway. It's driving me crazy and I haven't found any helpful information. I have noticed that when I have Device Manager open, the menu collapses and expands in a way that seems to correlate to the freezing. On it's own, the menu goes from showing the full list of drivers below "OWNER-PC" then it will collapse down to just showing "OWNER-PC", and when the freeze is over it expands back out to show the full list of drivers. When I have Device Manager open as the top window and the mouse if freezing, I can see the cursor turn to the hourglass while it's frozen and then change back to the cursor when the freeze is over. When I don't have the Device Manager window on top and I'm just on the internet when it freezes, the cursor just sticks and is unresponsive, but doesn't change to the hourglass. Sometimes the freezeing is worse and more frequent than other times. I hope this information helps some computer genius figure out how to help me.

I have tried:
different mice -- but they have all been USB port devices
different USB ports (seems to help for a little while sometimes)
updating drivers -- says all my drivers are update
disabling and re-enabling the drivers (seems to help for a little while sometimes)
troubleshooting Device Manager -- on all devices it reports "This device is working properly." Liars.
Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag and every other troubleshooting/maintenance tool provided by Windows
Anti-Virus software is up to date Webroot and my computer is clean of viruses, malware and spyware

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
January 30, 2012 4:51:15 AM

Quote:
What worked for me:
I went to "Device Manager" (rt-click "My Computer", select "Properties", from the pop-up window select "Device Manager")
Once in "Device Manager" (click on "view" and put a check-mark by "show hidden devices")
Next expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" tree by clicking it. (select the PS2 mouse & Keyboard and disable them)
NOTE: this is assuming you are using the Human Interface Device [USB mouse and keyboard as my machine has]

I had choppy mouse response and once in a while the mouse would hang and not move for a few seconds. I did notice that the
same sound that occurs when a new usb device was plugged in often noted the arival of the delay and I too would get the vista time symbol. With the PS2 devices disabled no such interruptions.

Just remember to re-enable the devices if you switch back to ps2 keyboard or mouse.

Although my list of devices was different... no PS2 devices (since I never used one on this machine) but there were TWO HID-compliant consumer device lines listed, 5 HID-Compliant Device lines listed, along with the recognizable drivers for my current devices... and i disabled only the second instance of the first "consumer" driver and it stopped freezing and skipping... i THOUGHT it was a buffer issue due to the nature of the behavior, until i read this post and KNOW duplicate loaded.active drivers could also cause such behavior and therefore gave it a try and was shocked to see it smooth right out and stay that way instantly! didn't even reboot.

Thanks for the unique view leading to resolving a MONTHSSS long frustrating issue that i didn't have time to dig deep enough to think of why it was!!! Especially after buying a new mouse this time and it only became WORSE... that was what made reading your suggestion click everything together!!

Much obliged...

TSG!
P.S. I should add...
Asus p6X58 Premium
Intel i7 X980 Gulftown 3.34GHz @ Stock (runs slightly faster than rated)
24 GB ram Patriot Viper II Extreme series (if I am remembering right LOL!)
XFX 5870 W eyefinity
Samsung 24" 1920X1200 X 3
1TB WD Black 7200 RPM 6 Gbs X 2
1TB WD Black 7200 rpm 3Gbs X 3
1000 Watt Bronze 80 Rosewill PSU
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit
January 30, 2012 8:27:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!