Sign in with
Your question

Registry error

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2008 4:00:23 PM

I recently tried to overclock my Q6600, and whilst i tried to get it stable it blue screened a few times, nothing major. THen the last time it blue screened, i restarted and when it tried to boot 'Windows Boot Manager' came up saying "Windows could not load as registry file is either missing or corrupt" !?!?!? WTF have i done wrong, i have tried to do the window repair by putting windows disk in and pressing r and it didnt help 1 bit. Is there any way i can fix this without re-installing windows? (i doubt there is but its worth a try) btw im running Vista 32bit.

More about : registry error

August 5, 2008 4:19:33 PM

Sounds like you BSOD while windoes was trying to write to the registry. Try getting into safe mode, although a full re-install might be needed.
August 5, 2008 4:30:05 PM

I'd assume loading "last known good configuration" would revert back to a previous version of your registry. If you can't get into Safe Mode I think it's fairly safe to say you jacked something up pretty hard.
Related resources
August 5, 2008 4:41:12 PM

Thats whay I try to get my overclock out of the way before installing Windows.
August 5, 2008 4:48:53 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

Such a simple concept, but an excellent suggestion. If you're building a new rig and plan on overclocking, I guess it does make sense not risking an OS install just to get a stable OC.

What sort of tools do you use to burn that in? I'm assuming you have a bootable CD containing some tools.
August 5, 2008 4:52:39 PM

pingu12 said:
I recently tried to overclock my Q6600, and whilst i tried to get it stable it blue screened a few times, nothing major. THen the last time it blue screened, i restarted and when it tried to boot 'Windows Boot Manager' came up saying "Windows could not load as registry file is either missing or corrupt" !?!?!? WTF have i done wrong, i have tried to do the window repair by putting windows disk in and pressing r and it didnt help 1 bit. Is there any way i can fix this without re-installing windows? (i doubt there is but its worth a try) btw im running Vista 32bit.

Ah, a valuable lesson learned, let's play along at home:

1) I recently tried to overclock my Q6600
2) i tried to get it stable
3) it blue screened a few times
4) i restarted
5) it tried to boot 'Windows Boot Manager'
6) "Windows could not load as registry file is either missing or corrupt"
7) WTF have i done wrong

Question: What did he do wrong?

Bonus points: What went wrong?

Teacher's Edition:

Answer: He did not create a known good condition to recover from before undertaking system destabilizing actions. Overclocking has all sorts of neat aspects to it, nothing wrong with it at all. Until it produces the inevitable errors which may prevent your system from. Including hardware errors.

Bonus Answer: The first thing to fail with OCing in most instances is the drive controller <-> drive interface data path with the explanation being that the P-ATA interface was susceptible to error due to weird caching and strict controller timing requirements due to all those data lines. Yet S-ATA and other drives fail with OCing just as readily as well, so it might be a low level bit-flipping problem or OS data-cache issue...but either underlying cause, when it effects registry errors, is likely disaster.

August 5, 2008 5:09:30 PM

I don't use any tools, I just have done it enough times I know pretty much what it can and can't do. I also only use a few different motherboards, that I know like the back of my hand.
August 6, 2008 9:57:53 AM

roadrunner197069 said:

If u OC it without windows installed how do u know its gunna be stable when u do boot windows?

Ok i tried to re-install vista but as it seems i might have bust up the Drive, as during the instialtion MANY (maybe 12) errors occured where certian files could not be copied. Is this the Windows disk or is it as i thought the hard drive? If it was the drive its not too bad as it wasnt a very good 1 and have been meaning to get a new hdd some time soon, just would have liked to be able to back up some files before hand!

Also when i do re-install vista im going to use the 64- bit but im thinking of installing vista and only the drivers and programs (CPU-Z, COre Temp etc) needed for overclocking, and then try to OC it again, this hopefully will mean if this happens again nothing major will be lost including valuble time spent reloading all my programs and so on, and i can also see weather it is stable enough to boot windows. Is this a good idea?
August 6, 2008 9:59:31 AM

:(  editing not allowed! Anyway thank you everyone for your help :) 
a b G Storage
August 6, 2008 11:44:56 AM

I do a backup before overclocking. If the overclock corrupts Windows, I just restore the backup.
!