PCI-X RAID controller in PCI slot - will it work?

mpetruc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i found at least 2 nice RAID controllers with most of the features i need (including price range), but unfortunately both are PCI-X. one of them, the Rocketraid 2220 will work for sure in a normal PCI slot (albeit with lower performance), but is software RAID. the other one, the LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8X (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118059) is not clear if will work in a PCI slot or not.

does anybody know if in general, PCI-X cards will work in PCI slots, or is the Rocketraid special in this regard?

thanks a lot.

It'll fit just fine. I'm running one right now (not that exact model, but similar). You may lose some performance though.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
PCI devices will typically work in PCI-X slots...

PCI-X devices usually WON'T work in a PCI slot. The few that do will work, as long as the connector is keyed properly, but the performance will suffer.

It's kind of like putting a PCI-e x16 card in a PCI-e x4 slot...may work if keyed properly, but performance will take a hit...

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Yes, you will have to ask the manufacturer specifically about that specific model.

For example, the 3Ware 9500S is a PCI-X card that will work in a PCI slot (with performance limited by the PCI bus).

The 3Ware 9550SX is a PCI-X card also, but will NOT work in a PCI slot, even though it will plug in just fine. This card is actually electrically different.

For those of you who haven't seen it, PCI-X cards that work in PCI slots do so with part of their slot edge connector hanging outside the PCI slot. This overhanging card edge contains the extra data bus wires that expand the transfers to 64 bits in a real PCI-X slot.

you have to read the manual of that card to find out. You can burn out the slot and the card if it doesn't support it.

i would recommend against using any raid adapters in PCI slots. It's not worth the speed downgrade. Unless you absolutely need the added storage. My guess is you probably don't need it.