Optimal use of 10krpm hard drive

dillius

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I have just received the first hard drive I've ever owned that is greater than 7.2k rpms, one of the new Velociraptors. What I am trying to figure out now is how most efficiently to use my spread of drives. Most of what I use in my performance machine, for gaming and such, are seagate drives, all but one of which have perpendicular recording. What I am trying to decide is what would be the best way to distribute installations to best use the hard drive performance.

For instance, even now I make sure to use the page file on a hard drive separate from programs I am loading, like games, and separate from the windows drive. Perhaps I am incorrect in doing this, but I have been told this is beneficial to performance.

My concern is what would be the best way to make use of this 10krpm drive. Should I...?

1. Put everything on it (Windows, game install directories, page file)
2. Put the page file on a separate perpendicular drive
3. Put windows or game install on a perpendicular (Would seem like a waste of 300 gigs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd put everything on the Velociraptor, with the possible exception of the page file (you could put that on a different drive if you want). Experiment with the page file, and see what feels the fastest.