Water Cooling Suggestions

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I want to water cool my system. My primary consideration is silence. I also want a high-quality system that I can add more parts in stages. I'm the type of person to save money for a higher end part than cheap out right away. Oh, I also want it to look good too. I'm willing to buy a complete system or a-la-carte.

Here's the system:

Silverstone TJ07
E6700 @ 3.52 GHz
Zalman CNPS9500A LED
Power PC & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Asus Maximus Formula
BFG 8800 GTX
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
3ware 9650SE-4LPML hardware raid controller
WD1500ADFD x4 in RAID 0
Vista 32

I'm thinking about these components --> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=29037&vpn=ULTIMATE%2D360%2DH20%2DKIT&manufacture=NCIX

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks, I'm pleased with the case too. All aluminum with plenty of room to work in. Just one video card, yes. I have a Thermaltake Kandalf in my closet which I don't use. I realise now I want to build complete system using the best/highest quality parts from various manufacturers.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Alot of what you might buy will depend on what you are going to do with your rigs main components concerning o'clocking. If you plan on just doing some mild o'clocking with the cpu AND the GPU then you might have to consider a NB waterblock (depending on just how aggressive you are going to be).

Of course, if you just intend on doing some mild o'clocking (if any) then the NB can either just use stock or a HSF combo of some sort.

That kit has some nice parts to it but I might replace with CPU waterblock with something else like the D-tek Fuzion or EK Supreme. There can be no denying that the Apogee GTX is among the best performers of CPU blocks (just as good as the D-tek Fuzion and EK Supreme) but its construction is of a copper base and aluminum housing and while I am sure it is treated the whole galvanic corrosion thing between copper/alum always concerned me down the road. I would have to guess that is why Swiftech offers a copper housing replacement for an additional $39 for that block.

If you are going to cool the GPU at any time then stay away from fullbody blocks that have waterchannels for both the gpu and memory - they have an affect on your flowrate, Stick with something along the lines of the Swiftech Stealth, MCW60 or Maze5.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I visited the D-tek and EK websites. They have some nice stuff there. Thanks. I have my computer sitting right next to me, so I need it quiet.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Well, for quiet, the first place to start is always going to be the pump. Now, the pump in that kit you provided the link for is the same pump I use in my cooling loop - the MCP655. It is one of the most powerful 12v pumps made but where it will suit you is where it suits me - it is dead silent. It is so quiet that even when I lean next to it I still cannot hear it in operation. I only know it is working by the visible current in my reservoir.

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
That TJ07 is perfect for the GTX 480 rad in the bottom:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/hwlablicegtx.html

The PA120.3 is GREAT (that's what I'm running). However a H/W Labs The GTX480 would allow you maximum expansion with an in-the-case single loop. The 4 x120 fans are a perfect fit for the 4 intake/exhaust grills in the bottom of the TJ07. If you want to mount externally, get the optional rad box.

I agree with phreejak on the Apogee GTX. I am personally running the Swiftech Stealth GPU block - which is basically an Apogee GTX for the GPU. I haven't had any signs of a corrosion issues, but I'm finicky about caring for my loop. Still, If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the MCW60 just to avoid the whole issue. However, the add says something about "all copper design" of this kit. Maybe they have replaced the Apogee GTX top with the copper one (I'd contact them to ask). In that case GO FOR IT.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
TonyL222, if I am not mistaken the Swiftech Stealth (which I use as well for my GPU) has a delrin body with a copper base - which is good for us - as apposed to the CPU Apogee which has the alum/copper body/baseplate.

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

No, I have the Stealth, too. It's the same aluminum top as the GTX, coated with nickel and zinc plating. Check out the Swiftech web site and read the Stealth Specifications section.

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

He's right.

Anyways, to the OP, you will definetely enjoy your TJ-07, I just finished watercooling mine, and it was a dream to work in. Two Reservoired Loops w/PA120.3+PA120.2 rads. I'll post it here when I think it is ready to show.

babaghan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks to all. I'll refer back to this thread when I commit which should be in 1 - 2 weeks. I have an E8500 on order which should arrive in two weeks, but I may cancel that and jump straight into this watercooling kit :)