I got hacked, I have a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So I get a notification to my phone that my gmail phone number has been changed to some number in China. This number: 13850134924.

I figured it probably had something to do with my gaming, World of Warcraft. I log onto the game account and sure enough that's what happened, they stole all my stuff. No big worries there. Here's my question though: how?

I only use my personal home computer. I don't go to disreputable sites. I don't click on shady links. I actually did a virus scan yesterday and it was clean and again today after I found out I was hacked. Both clean. I have never used wow except from my home pc and no one uses my computer but me.

So I'm just curious how I got hacked? My password was a word with upper and lowercase letters and a combination of numbers so not like it was "password" or anything like that. Let me know, I'm curious. Thanks.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hmmm, that's a good point. I wouldn't imagine that their servers would be hacked very often though and I would guess that it would be big news if they were. I don't know, I get the feeling that it's just my account that was hacked through some means and not on wow's end.

Servers got hacked in august, but they didn't take any personal info.

@OP: Have you used the same email that you use for world of warcraft on another website? Have you used a similar password somewhere?

You might think that it's safe and those websites are keeping your data safe. However, that's not really true: they sell that data out for extra money.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Yes, I have used that email for a few different sites but only reputable ones. I think pandora, wow, imgur. Maybe a couple more like that. They might sell my email sure but passwords?

I heard about the october hack (or whenever it was) but I would imagine that was too long ago, i.e. they wouldn't have waited 2+ months to hack me after that, I wouldn't think. I can understand them getting my email, I just don't know how they would get my password.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Or did you chared it with someone by exident or wrote it down and had visit or where online with a webcam, and so on. I don't apply it's someone close though!

:D Happy Hollydays & Best Wishes 2013! :D

Enjoy the game! :)

G

it is most likely a keylogger and the antivirus you are running hasnt picked it up, try downloading a new av and scanning in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.