This is why you should build your own rig

HardwareGuru2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
As a hardcore gamer I've been looking forward to a new rig. Guided by a positive review of an ABS system I got one myself. Nice specs, 640 MB or video, excellent processor...

The surprise came when the system came out of the box. The system is constantly crashing with an unreproducable frequency. It has been doing so through: a hard drive replacement, re-install of OS, without any non-MSFT software, after re-seating memory, running memory and board diagnostics, all the latest drivers on all devices. Yes, one would say it's your fault for putting Vista on - fool! True, but the DELL computer I got for my wife, with nearly the same specs, has yet to crash - with the same OS. Here, clearly, hardware is at fault and ABS.com (ABS Systems) would not take the system back. I've wasted over 80 man hours trying to work out the kinks. Many hours with support, many hours on my own. In real life I live and breathe software as a software engineer and I've built a number of rigs in the past.

My biggest regret is going with with ABS Systems. Let this serve you as a warning.

I'm using my work laptop to type this message, because using the system built by ABS.com may result in a crash before I can send this.

Build your own rig!

mrmez

Splendid
So why did u go with ABS if Dell always worked well?
Money i assume.

I run a business, when customers ask for a discount i say "certainly, where would you like me to cut corners?"
U dont need to guess what their response is.

If something is cheaper it usually IS for a reason. Next time u are offered a good deal or something cheap/free, look in the mirror and ask "Why me. Whats so special about me?"

If u cant come up with a good answer, chances are they are cutting corners.

Good luck bruv.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Credit cards have excellent support for bad purchases. Send the thing back and copy the reciept with a dispute to the CC company.

sailer

Splendid
A few things I can think of. First, as Avevm suggested, try a different psu. If the psu is bad, nothing else can work properly. Next thing I would look at is the motherboard.

Of course, the whole name of this thread is strange. "Why you should build your own rig", and then you go on to tell how a Dell works properly? I mean, if the Dell works properly, then that is a reason to buy a ready built computer instead of build one. Maybe it would have been better to complain about ABS.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Honestly, the exact same thing can happen when you build your own. In my experiences dealing with the actual companies who make the products, they are less cooperative than the resellers(ABS).