'Windows XP Pro" is NOT detecting the 2nd hard drive

surf

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hello EVERYONE!

I just added a 2nd hard drive in my pc. BIOS detects 1st drive (MAXTOR, 200 GB) as MASTER and 2nd drive (SAMSUNG, 4.0 GB) as SLAVE. Unfortunately, my Windows XP Pro does NOT detect the 2nd drive.

One end of the cable is connected to the MOTHERBOARD, the other end to the MAXTOR (Master), and the MIDDLE connector is connected to the SAMSUNG (is supposed to be Slave).

1st drive:
MAXTOR 200 GB
jumper setting: MASTER

2nd drive:
SAMSUNG 4 GB
jumper setting: SLAVE

Please help! Thanks!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
You probably have to format it so the os will see it. I just did a reinstall of linux on my second drive for some stupid reason and I had to format the extra space just so windowz would see it (i have xp home).
I used western digital's hard drive tools (they are free). You can partition and format the drive then you should be good to go!

You don't have to use a samsung formatting tool, the wd or even Seagate's Seatools should work just fine. A drive is just a drive :)

Hope that helps.

G

I have the very same problem of sorts - XP Home, two SATA drives installed, formatted and working however drive 2 a SAMSUNG HD250HJ is very often not picked up by XP including device manager. It is however picked up by the BIOS and a drive scan comes back fine in start up. Royal pain in the bum if anyone can help