Building New System - Need Help Deciding ($4000 Budget)

neoxblu1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hello, I would like to thank you for coming to my post.

I made many posts in the past couple of days gettings peoples reviews about everything, since I am new to this I want the best of the best and havent taken much though in researching some components that I want. The two componants that I am really close to removing are: Bigfoot Killer NIC M1 and ASUS Agiea PhysX.

I read some reviews about the Agiea PhysX card and it seems not to be worth it because not much games support it.

Now the Bigfoot NIC is another story some say it is good, some say it is horrible...etc, I need to know from someone that actualy OWNS one if it is any good.

I have done much research now and I am a little confused on picking which system I should go with, this is where you guys come in;

I have decided what components I want in two different systems, I need you to tell me which one is better (performance, durability, long lasting, fast, smooth) and tell me why you picked it. My Budget is $4000

SYSTEM: A :bounce:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra OC
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-FI Fata1ity Platnium
Power Supply: Thermaltake 1200W Toughpower
Hard Drive: 2x Wesern Digital Raptor SATA 150GB, 10,000RPM, 16MB Cache
Network: Bigfoot Killer NIC M1
Case: Thermal Take Armour Series
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3(PC3 14400)

SYSTEM: B :bounce:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX8650
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-N680SLI-DQ6 LGA 775 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: Dual SLI BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-FI Fata1ity Platnium
Power Supply: Thermaltake 1200W Toughpower
Hard Drive: 2x Wesern Digital Raptor SATA 150GB, 10,000RPM, 16MB Cache
Network: The one that comes with mobo?
Case: Thermal Take Armour Series
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066(PC2 8500)

As you can see both systems are fairly the same, I need you to tell me which one is better than the other, Which one would you recemmend for gaming. Any Components that you would change to make the performace better, I am not interested in Windows VISTA or Nvidia 8800GT.

Thank You.

G

Anyone doing a search for your user name can see you have posted 7 threads asking the same thing and you responded to 10 other posts from other users in the homebuilt systems category. All good research I'm sure. However, it get's confusing..

By the time you decide - more stuff will have been released like 780i etc early next year.

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
B of course, but...

- I dont understand the point of the power supply. Those components would operate fine on around 700-800w. Having such a big PSU in no way helps performance or stability. I would recommend a high quality silverstone / antec or zippy with a much smaller peak outage. This will save you money and not affect performance.

- RAM is also overkill, good quality DDR2-800 is your friend. There will be next to no performance difference with that RAM unless you are up for some extreme overclocking which judging by your knowledge of PC components you are unlikely to be.

- I have no idea why you would dismiss the GT. It is cooler, uses less power and is extremely close to the GTX in perf. Due to the heat and power issues it is a much better option for SLI and will handle virtually anything that the GTX SLI or ultra can handle (likewise it will struggle with anything they struggle with). We still have not seen a great DX10 card personally I would wait for one if you want great performance in DX10 games like crysis.

My summary point is not that your PC will not be fast (because it will be extremely fast) it is that you are buying components that offer very little performance increase for awhole lot more $$. In fact the performance difference will not be noticable in any of the games you have posted about in your prior posts. Really the only game that you would spot a difference in would be crysis.

p.s. Ugly case :p get a low profile lian li or silverstone for the understated elegant look!