Sign in with
Your question

looking for good 7.1 surround amp and speakers for computer

Last response: in Components
November 25, 2007 7:22:42 AM

Hiya all! Can anyone recommend a decent (or any) 7.1 surround amp and speaker set for my computer system? Mostly for gaming. My mobo will be a p35-ds3l supporting 7.1. Thanks . Answers appreciated asap.
November 25, 2007 10:24:39 PM

Onkyo and Denon make good receivers and if you live near a Circuitcity they have good prices. For less expensive speakers I like Polks. If you're going to run it as 7.1, might be best to buy a set of speakers, makes life easier. I'd also get a sub, not one that comes with a set of speakers, and Velodyne are good. Circuitcity has a 10" Velodyne for $260. Bought my son one for some work he did for us and it sounds good
November 25, 2007 10:52:47 PM

Are you looking for a computer set of speakers or a Home Theater system that you can use for your computer? I think g-paw is referring to the Home theater setup, thats what I run, and works great. Have an Onkyo system 7.1 channels that I can use for my computer, dvd player, TV ect. More multifunction and therefore more cost effective I feel...
Related resources
November 25, 2007 11:22:58 PM

Yes, was talking about a Home Theater system since th OP said something about an amp. Running my computer through a receiver to and it really sounds good
November 26, 2007 1:14:41 AM

Same here, running mine through a 7.1 channel Onkyo system via digital optical connection. Sounds excellent with iTunes and stuff, will even playback DVDs in Dolby Digital EX 7.1.
November 26, 2007 1:21:13 AM

g-paw said:
Yes, was talking about a Home Theater system since th OP said something about an amp. Running my computer through a receiver to and it really sounds good

As do i... My X-fi does the output my Denon Amp does the power and the Richter speakers do the speaking (Richter are aussie brand so i dont expect any of you to have heard of them.)

If you want PC speakers i wouldnt get 7.1 as there arent many around and they are pretty much cactus all of em. Go with Z-5500's Logitech's they are great 5.1 set.

IMO go with the Amp, Speakers for HT stuff. Just to let you know though if you intend on playing games in surround (5.1 or 7.1) the amp, speakers solution wont work. Youll need something like the Logitechs to do that.
November 26, 2007 12:42:14 PM

Thanks all. From what I've seen for prices and what's out there, I think my budget will have to wait until after Christmas. Thanks for the recommendations!
November 26, 2007 2:36:20 PM

For a 7.1 system you're looking at about $1000 to $1200 give or take for a decent entry level system. $260 fir a syb, $270 for a 7.1 Onkyo receiver and the rest for speakers. If money is tight, don't think you'd miss much with 5.1 speaker system
November 26, 2007 3:20:00 PM

Pintail said:
Hiya all! Can anyone recommend a decent (or any) 7.1 surround amp and speaker set for my computer system? Mostly for gaming. My mobo will be a p35-ds3l supporting 7.1. Thanks . Answers appreciated asap.

I am an uber audiophile, i dont listen to it if its not 24bit/192khz . I import most of my sound from the UK, except for my SUB, which I bought from the states.

The perfect solution for you is a Yamaha amp. Price to Sound/Build Quality there is no parallel. I suggest you got for a low end RX model in the sub $600 range.

Speakers is the only problem for budget audiophiles. There are way too many **** speakers around these days. If your going for a 7.1 set I suggest a complete solution from SVS . An american company is non-retail and has gained a lot of respect very quickly.

SVS 7.1 and 5.1 sets $1200 and $1000 respectively http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

Yamaha RX-V659 $550 http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?C...

And for heaven's sake, If your going to buy sound from Futureshop, BestBuy, Circuit City, Radioshack etc.. your not doing justice to your ears. But since you have no idea what pro audio sounds like you might not even notice. But once you get hooked on the $6000+ component amp systems from Rotel, Arcam, Nakamichi you will never even look at those high end systems from Marantz, Denon, Harmon Kardon etc.. My advice is, if you can't afford an S63 AMG, don't buy an E-Class. Go for the Honda Civic until until you can put real money down.

And FYI, I run Tannoy (British) floor standers with a Nakamichi AV Receiver (Japanese), with an SVS PB12-Plus2 Sub (American, but very very very good) and for output i'm using AC3 Passthrough from a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192. Total cost :)  $9000+ hahaha

Dummies Guide to ProAudio.
1. Don't Buy American Hardware
2. Expensive hardware is not always the best
3. Greats 30yrs ago are not greats today, eg Bose
4. Stick to French, British and Japanese hardware
5. ONLY buy bookshelf speakers if you cannot fit Floor standers in your room

Good Luck
December 9, 2007 5:33:54 PM

"Dummies Guide to ProAudio"

Rule# 6 Never listen to "audiophiles" that brag about a paltry $6000 system, advise people with less thant $1000 to buy an $6000 system, and copy and paste posts from one thread to another. :sleep: 
December 9, 2007 7:14:30 PM

g-paw said:
"Dummies Guide to ProAudio"

Rule# 6 Never listen to "audiophiles" that brag about a paltry $6000 system, advise people with less thant $1000 to buy an $6000 system, and copy and paste posts from one thread to another. :sleep: 

HAHA nice one g-paw...

I look forward to hearing more "rules" out of the dummy guide
December 9, 2007 7:27:55 PM

chookman said:
HAHA nice one g-paw...

I look forward to hearing more "rules" out of the dummy guide

:sol: 

December 9, 2007 10:17:41 PM

Chookman Wrote:

IMO go with the Amp, Speakers for HT stuff. Just to let you know though if you intend on playing games in surround (5.1 or 7.1) the amp, speakers solution wont work. Youll need something like the Logitechs to do that.

This is completely untrue, almost any decent(300$+) amp will have discrete in's that will allow you to hook up your analog outs from your computer to your receiver with the simple use of a 3.5mm to RCA cable(well, 3 cables). I have an X-fi Prelude and a yamaha receiver and speaker package that cost me $700 total and this is how I hook up my soundcard so I can get the function of EAX which can only be outputted Via Analog. I play games on a 92" projected HD screen so big sound was important to me. I would say I am an audiophile with a working mans budget. Obviously if you have 6+ grand to spend you wouldn' be asking about audio in a computer hardware forum. The one piece of advice i will give you is don't even bother getting a decent speaker setup if you are planning on using onboard sound. The X-fi prelude is a fantastic choice because it really is the best of both worlds, fantastic support for games with great analog out quality as well as optical out for movies and media.. I watch HDDVD's using the card and it works fantastically. I think if you are willing to spend about a grand you will be very happy with what you get. Also i would say dont worry too much about 7.1 Vs. 5.1 as most things arent coded for 7.1 and you wont notice a huge difference even if you have it. Either way man just have fun buying some sweet new gear.
December 9, 2007 11:00:33 PM

chevellerocks said:
Chookman Wrote:

This is completely untrue, almost any decent(300$+) amp will have discrete in's that will allow you to hook up your analog outs from your computer to your receiver with the simple use of a 3.5mm to RCA cable(well, 3 cables). I have an X-fi Prelude and a yamaha receiver and speaker package that cost me $700 total and this is how I hook up my soundcard so I can get the function of EAX which can only be outputted Via Analog. I play games on a 92" projected HD screen so big sound was important to me. I would say I am an audiophile with a working mans budget. Obviously if you have 6+ grand to spend you wouldn' be asking about audio in a computer hardware forum. The one piece of advice i will give you is don't even bother getting a decent speaker setup if you are planning on using onboard sound. The X-fi prelude is a fantastic choice because it really is the best of both worlds, fantastic support for games with great analog out quality as well as optical out for movies and media.. I watch HDDVD's using the card and it works fantastically. I think if you are willing to spend about a grand you will be very happy with what you get. Also i would say dont worry too much about 7.1 Vs. 5.1 as most things arent coded for 7.1 and you wont notice a huge difference even if you have it. Either way man just have fun buying some sweet new gear.

I stand corrected Chevellerocks, i have never seen any amp that has discrete in's like that. Can you post your amp model details at least so i can do a bit of research on this myself?

Im here to learn the same as anyone else ;) 

EDIT: OK cancel that, i just had a look and my AMP actually have these connectors (called EXT. IN). My query now is, the x-fi has a FRONTS jack but the AMP has FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT. Im assuming we just get a 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA cable and then do some testing to make sure you have the correct channel? Same with rears and centre/sub channels? IF so thats awesome, may stop me buying a set of Z-5500's for this exact purpose

RE:EDIT: Sorry i think ive hijacked the thread lol
December 9, 2007 11:37:08 PM

hey Chookman,

sorry I didn't mean to sound like an ass.. sometimes with knowledge comes arrogance and I don't wanna be that guy. I really only figured this out myself 2 months ago... and yeah you just do some testing to figure out which goes to which... I had a problem with my old auzentech card getting the sound to split between the center and bass, but on my x-fi card I just had to click "redirect bass" or whatever it is and it works perfectly. i own the z-5500's and they are great speakers but they can't compare to a receiver and speaker package.. that said they cost 3-4 times as much. Good luck with whatever you get.
December 9, 2007 11:59:09 PM

g-paw said:
For a 7.1 system you're looking at about $1000 to $1200 give or take for a decent entry level system. $260 fir a syb, $270 for a 7.1 Onkyo receiver and the rest for speakers. If money is tight, don't think you'd miss much with 5.1 speaker system

Get real :ange: 

Something like this would be fine for 99.9% of people who don't want to spend more than they put out for their gaming rig:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKHTSR800
OR, even cheaper:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKHTSR600
December 10, 2007 12:30:58 AM

Noya said:
Get real :ange: 

Something like this would be fine for 99.9% of people who don't want to spend more than they put out for their gaming rig:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKHTSR800
OR, even cheaper:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKHTSR600

HAHA i was just about to give these a blasting then i read what they can do. My god that is cheap. My main concern on those would be the sound quality... like cmon 8 speaker system for less than $400? i spend twice to three times that amount on my pair of fronts. And i know that the Z-5500's sound unreal for the price.

EDIT: Please notice that is states "Onkyo Factory Reconditioned" so some other persons already had em and they were replaced under warranty.
December 10, 2007 12:34:04 AM

chevellerocks said:
hey Chookman,

sorry I didn't mean to sound like an ass.. sometimes with knowledge comes arrogance and I don't wanna be that guy. I really only figured this out myself 2 months ago... and yeah you just do some testing to figure out which goes to which... I had a problem with my old auzentech card getting the sound to split between the center and bass, but on my x-fi card I just had to click "redirect bass" or whatever it is and it works perfectly. i own the z-5500's and they are great speakers but they can't compare to a receiver and speaker package.. that said they cost 3-4 times as much. Good luck with whatever you get.

Thanks for the info chevellerocks apology not required. Here i was thinking i knew everything about my amp (that i bought ~3yrs ago) and i get shown up on toms hardware in a computer forums HAHA... ill give this a go when i get some cables ;) 
December 10, 2007 12:36:28 AM

chookman said:
HAHA i was just about to give these a blasting then i read what they can do. My god that is cheap. My main concern on those would be the sound quality... like cmon 8 speaker system for less than $400? i spend twice to three times that amount on my pair of fronts. And i know that the Z-5500's sound unreal for the price.

EDIT: Please notice that is states "Onkyo Factory Reconditioned" so some other persons already had em and they were replaced under warranty.

Have to agree, when something looks too good to be true, it's inevitably is
December 10, 2007 12:41:30 AM

Chookman, Hijack is OK! Enjoying reading the feedback!
December 10, 2007 12:43:34 AM

chookman said:

Wow..good looking system for my rig. but only ships in US! Bummer!!!!
!