Failing RIMM PC 800 memory

szlats

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I have an older Gateway 700X computer with an Intel (Lexington 2) Pentium 4 - 2.4-GHz / 533-MHz mother board. It has 4 256MB RIMM 800 PC memory cards. It has been giving me a number of errors and when I ran Microsoft's memory test the memory failed. I tried re-seating all the cards and then tried removing 2 of the 4 cards but the machine would not boot. I think I need all 4 cards in place to boot up so I'm having problems finding which card is the faulty one by going through a process of elimination. A new card cost $140.00 which is pretty ridiculous for old slow memory but I would like to salvage the machine. I'm told that there is a C-RIMM spacer which can be used to replace a card and still have the machine boot up normally but I can't seem to find a source of supply for one. Any suggestions on a way around my problem, a way to identify which card is bad, or a reasonable source of supply for 256MB RIMM memory?

Dooyas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Just so you know, you are talking about RDRam, the spacer is only for the extra slots, not to replace a dead stick.

RDRam requires you to run in dual channel, which means you need pairs of active sticks.

The answer above still applies though, Ebay is the best place to get RDRAm now, just make sure you get the same size.

Mondoman

Splendid
Before buying more RDRAM, remember that it is 25 times more expensive than current DDR2. For the price of two RDRAM modules, you could just about buy a much better & faster computer with more RAM.

szlats

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Thanks all,

I have other computers and just wanted to salvage this one primarily for internet access and microsoft office applications. So if I can run the machine with two good modules and fill the other two slots with spacers that would be OK. I agree that it is not worth investing anything significant into this computer.

Dooyas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Correct, you do not need to fill all the slots with Ram, but can you the spacers. Just sets of 2 for the ram is all.