Sign in with
Your question

First time OC, please make sure this is safe.

Last response: in Overclocking
March 24, 2008 7:26:41 PM

Hey guys, I've never OC'd before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. So far, I have my fsb to 333, which puts my E6600 at 3Ghz and it hasn't crashed or done anything unstable yet. I haven't done a full length test yet, but I let Prime95 run for about 30 minutes and it reported 0 errors and 0 warnings. My load temps stayed in the middle/low 50's *C.

So far, so good, right?

I opened the NVmonitor just to check on temps and voltages and such (I still have voltages set to auto, I haven't started bringing them down to optimal yet) and a lot of things are red. I don't really know what that means, or if it means anything, but they used to all be green. So if you guys don't mind, will you take a look at this and make sure that it's safe and not going to fry anything? :pt1cable: 

Thanks

More about : time make safe

March 24, 2008 7:29:29 PM

Your cpu voltage is rather high for that kind of OC. I'm sure you can bring it down to 1.35V.
March 24, 2008 7:35:33 PM

Wow quick reply thanks.

Yeah, that was my next step. The voltages are still being controlled by the "auto" setting in the BIOS.

The red boxes in the NVmonitor don't mean anything dangerous though?
Related resources
March 24, 2008 7:49:19 PM

No, don't worry about it. Reducing the voltages to a minimum will help greatly.
March 24, 2008 8:01:14 PM

Ok cool, thanks.

One more question. Why does Prime95 hit my HDD so hard after I close it? Does it write some huge log file somewhere or something?
March 24, 2008 8:24:20 PM

Mine doesn't, unless you turned on a option that does that?

Anyways, if you didn't touch anything, it shouldn't do that.
March 24, 2008 8:36:43 PM

Hmm, well I'm not all that worried about it, just curious.

How long do you let Prime95 run between changes in settings? I realize for the final stability test, I need to let it run for 8 hours or so, but is 30 minutes long enough to assume it's stable enough to move on?

Thanks for all the help, this is really a learning experience for me.
March 25, 2008 9:13:46 PM

Yes, I usually do 10mins on a certain voltage setting. If it passes, lower it one notch and repeat. If it fails, raise it 2 notches and stress test for at least 8hours. Any more failures you move one notch up.
March 26, 2008 1:13:58 AM

Awesome thanks
!