Solved

Cannot connect to internet via Ethernet or WiFi

I have been trying to help a friend with their computer over the last few days, and ultimately I had to reinstall the OS system (Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1). After installing, I wanted to perform the windows updates so I went to connect it to the internet. My original plan was to connect via Ethernet because I did not want to hassle with putting in the long numeric password for my WiFi. Upon plugging in the Ethernet, I still had no connection. I went into the network settings and the program read "Windows cannot find any networks." When I go to manage network connections, I only get a Bluetooth network connection which is "not connected."

I though that it may have just been a bad connection at the Ethernet port since the laptop is in pretty rough shape, so I turned on the WiFi. I still cannot see any networks to connect to and get the same results in the manage network connections section.

My next guess was that this was a driver issue. I went into my drivers and first looked under network adapters, but only Bluetooth devices were displayed. After toggling on and off the WiFi, I could see that it affected the "Other devices" section which contained three devices labeled "Base System Device," and three others: "Ethernet Controller," "Network Controller," and "Video Controller." All of these device's icons have an exclamation mark on them which seems to indicate to me some sort of error; however, I cannot update these drivers as clicking on their details and properties only shows them as unknown, and I cannot connect to the internet to update them automatically.

I have tried using the driver disc that came with the computer as well, but installing those drivers had no effect.

I am assuming I am in the correct place now, and that the drivers are the issue, but I am still not 100% sure. If they are the issue, I am at a loss on how to fix them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cannot connect internet ethernet wifi
  1. Best answer
    You need to download the correct drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website and transfer them via a flash drive.
  2. Those drivers are not listed on the manufacturers website.

*Edit* There are different drivers listed under network drivers which I will try shortly
  3. Best answer selected by jamesallen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Ethernet Card Windows Vista