Sign in with
Your question

Artic Silver 5 sucks!

Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2007 4:22:28 PM

...at least compared to 3 other thermal paste.

Seems like Artic Silver 5 is not the best thermal paste anymore. The king is dead and the crown is handed to the Tuniq TX-2, which is better by about 2-3C and cheaper by $5.

@tweaktown
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1220/4/page_4_testing...

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I know this article isn't exactly new, but many people doesn't seem informed about this.

More about : artic silver sucks

November 25, 2007 4:27:58 PM

Evilonigiri said:
...at least compared to 3 other thermal paste.

Seems like Artic Silver 5 is not the best thermal paste anymore. The king is dead and the crown is handed to the Tuniq TX-2, which is better by about 2-3C and cheaper by $5.

@tweaktown
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1220/4/page_4_testing...

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I know this article isn't exactly new, but many people doesn't seem informed about this.

AS5 has been dead.

Shin-Etsu X23 is also better from what I've heard. Comp had a link to the shootout but I'm not sure where it is.

I have AS5 on mine right now because it's "good enough." I have a tube of MX-2 because I like how easy it is to spread (used it on a couple other guys stuff) and it's non-conductive.

Hopefully though this might dispell some of the AS5 = King stuff that gets thrown around.
November 25, 2007 4:28:37 PM

Maybe because the Tuniq TX-2 takes less time to completely fuse giving better results at first? You never know.
Related resources
November 25, 2007 4:32:47 PM

nightscope said:
Maybe because the Tuniq TX-2 takes less time to completely fuse giving better results at first? You never know.

Ah yes you are right. However, if you read the article, they get rid of that problem by using the pc for 3 days before testing the performance.
November 25, 2007 4:33:53 PM

nightscope said:

Was reading through it again and saw this:

"While I have always used a 3-day rule of thumb, the Arctic Silver website indicates it could take as much as 200 hours (just over 8 days) to properly cure."

If you aren't going to even test it via manufacturer's specs this is kind of a stupid test. I've seen temps drop another 1-2 C from 100 -> 200 hours on mine. The fact that he is saying he used a "72 hour rule of thumb" is just rediculous. MX-2 does not, however, require a cure time.
November 25, 2007 4:37:02 PM

cnumartyr said:

"While I have always used a 3-day rule of thumb, the Arctic Silver website indicates it could take as much as 200 hours (just over 8 days) to properly cure."

If you aren't going to even test it via manufacturer's specs this is kind of a stupid test. I've seen temps drop another 1-2 C from 100 -> 200 hours on mine. The fact that he is saying he used a "72 hour rule of thumb" is just rediculous. MX-2 does not, however, require a cure time.

Exactly my point. Consumers reported temperatures dropping by as much as 5-10 Celsius after 200-400 hours of use with AS5.
November 25, 2007 4:39:20 PM

cnumartyr said:

It was stated as "as much as", indicating that you can get the best performance under 200hours. Maybe you didn't use your pc as much, that's why it decreased further from 100->200. Or maybe the weather changed, as it is very possible in 100 hours.
November 25, 2007 4:42:19 PM

That's a bunch of maybes, but the majority of consumers notice the best results after at least 200-400 hours of use.
November 25, 2007 4:43:43 PM

nightscope said:
Exactly my point. Consumers reported temperatures dropping by as much as 5-10 Celsius after 200-400 hours of use with AS5.

Could be that the temps drop due to weather, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there might be too many lurking variables involved to say this. What we need is an experiment, which is exactly what tweaktown did. Well, then again, I agree they should have used it longer than 3 days.
November 25, 2007 4:44:11 PM

Evilonigiri said:
It was stated as "as much as", indicating that you can get the best performance under 200hours. Maybe you didn't use your pc as much, that's why it decreased further from 100->200. Or maybe the weather changed, as it is very possible in 100 hours.

No, unlike the guys who tested it.. I actually take ambient air readings from the exact same spot every single time I do temp testing. Then rather than saying it ran at 60C core I say that the core had a dT of X in relation to the ambient air.

Props to them for atleast maintaining a 23C ambient air temp for the entire test.

And yes, it says "as much as" which to me doesn't say you will get your best temps under 200 hours. It says it may take "as much as" 200 hours of curing to get the best temperatures. To me, this means it might take 200 hours for it to cure. I don't see how that could possibly mean anything other than that.

Also, this PC runs F@H 24/7 when I'm not on it, it never sees less than 50% usage unless it is restarted. This is on a Q6600. I don't consider 200 hours to be "200 hours of sitting on the heat sink." It's 200 hours of the paste acting as a TIM (which means power on) and going through heat cycles. Which I also do when I run the regular F@H while I game and the processor is all over the place.
November 25, 2007 4:51:03 PM

i dunno abt as5 but the thermal paste i had with my opteron hsf the gray compound was cooler at room temperature compared to the artic silver mx2 i have now though the artic silver keeps the pc at a constant of 37degrees centigrade at idle and 45 at load whereas the stock thermal paste with my opteron made my cpu run @ 34-35 but it idled at 48-49.doesn't really make much of a difference does it?
November 25, 2007 4:51:25 PM

Maybe 1 or 2C from CPU compound, okay. Maybe.
5 or 10C cooler because of compound? LoL. Heheh...
AS5 is far better than most of the heatsink crap you see in use, but I will keep my eyes open for new stuff when my tube quits. So thanks! :) 
Regards
November 25, 2007 4:54:55 PM

Okay, so Artic Silver isn't performing as well as it should be. I understand that you have to let the paste cool and heat up to maximize performance.

I use Artic Silver in my pc, but I never noticed any temperature change after 3 months. That is when I use Prime95 to stress test my cpu, using the same settings, it always reaches 59C. It's been like that since I put it on.
November 25, 2007 5:02:48 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Okay, so Artic Silver isn't performing as well as it should be. I understand that you have to let the paste cool and heat up to maximize performance.

I use Artic Silver in my pc, but I never noticed any temperature change after 3 months. That is when I use Prime95 to stress test my cpu, using the same settings, it always reaches 59C. It's been like that since I put it on.

Maybe your ambient temperature changed! :p 
November 25, 2007 5:09:48 PM

nightscope said:
Maybe your ambient temperature changed! :p 

lol, but I measured it on hot days and cold days, never changed once.

atm, I'm trying to find a review that actually lets the Arctic Silver cure...most of them don't, only tweaktown does it, albeit only 3 days.
November 25, 2007 5:13:18 PM

if it sucks, at least try spelling it correctly.
November 25, 2007 5:15:09 PM

Evilonigiri said:
lol, but I measured it on hot days and cold days, never changed once.

atm, I'm trying to find a review that actually lets the Arctic Silver cure...most of them don't, only tweaktown does it, albeit only 3 days.

So if it was cold or hot in your room it made no difference in your core temps?

What about your Tcase temp?
November 25, 2007 5:16:37 PM

ive tried a couple different TIMs in the past... never saw much of a change.

Lapping made a much bigger difference
November 25, 2007 5:17:44 PM

cnumartyr said:
So if it was cold or hot in your room it made no difference in your core temps?

What about your Tcase temp?

Well according to the bios, it's 38C or something like that. I have a Stacker 832 with all the fans, so I ususally don't pay attention to the Tcase temps.
November 25, 2007 5:20:06 PM

Okay found another review which compares the Arctic Silver and Arctic Cooling MX-2

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_mx_2

Quote:
- All pastes were given an adequate amount of time to settle. (Break time - Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Cooling MX-2 both has an approximate break time of 200 hours)

...with the suggested break time!

Results?

Arctic Cooling MX-2 is 3C cooler than Arctic Silver.

What's your take?
November 25, 2007 5:21:14 PM

Oh did I say this was tested on a GPU? Doesn't really matter imo.
November 25, 2007 5:24:18 PM

I'm using mx-2 and I have to say that the temps don't look very good...if anything happened my temps have gone up actually. 46 Celsius on idle on a downclocked e2180! I know that's not from the paste, but it used to idle at 40 Celsius when I first got it. Either the paste is drying up or something else is happening. I'm getting AS5 and trying it out and will post the differences later.
November 25, 2007 5:30:14 PM

nightscope said:
I'm using mx-2 and I have to say that the temps don't look very good...if anything happened my temps have gone up actually. 46 Celsius on idle on a downclocked e2180! I know that's not from the paste, but it used to idle at 40 Celsius when I first got it. Either the paste is drying up or something else is happening. I'm getting AS5 and trying it out and will post the differences later.

I have a tube I'll be doing testing with next weekend maybe. Currently my case is in pieces and having a circular saw taken to it.

My AS5 has had atleast 3 weeks or so to cure and been on 24/7. I'll test ambient dT of Core and Tcase the same way. 30 minutes of P95 with logging. I'll put the MX-2 on it next weekend after I test AS5 again.
November 25, 2007 5:31:27 PM

Hmm, every review I came across says that the MX-2 performs better than the Arctic Silver 5. Unless I see a convincing experiment involving which is the best thermal paste, I'm sticking with the Tuniq paste.

If I ever finish using my Arctic Silver 5 and get the MX-2 or Tuniq, I might do some testings.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe the Arctic Silver lasts longer? Can't find a review that show the longevity of a thermal paste...If Arctic Silver does last longer, then I probably stick with it.
November 25, 2007 5:34:31 PM

nightscope said:

Wow - my rig idles @ 38C (or 35C with SpeedStep).
NightScope you must have poor hot air exhaust from your case. Is there no fan on the back?
L8R
November 25, 2007 5:37:40 PM

nightscope said:

...which further intrigues me into finding out if Arctic Silver lasts longer than the rest.
November 25, 2007 6:06:31 PM

I've really never been a believer of any thermal grease, as far as what works better. Perhaps if I had cooler room temps I could have seen some kind of difference, but the thing is, I didn't for my average ambient temp. :lol: 

My old P4 3.0ghz system always idled at 44C (78-80F ambient), with AS5 (way over 200 hours cure time) or reg white stuff. Thats even with stock or Zalman 7700.

Now I'm using the tuniq with TX-1 thermal grease. Again I must admit its prolly the worst stuff to apply, but still works as good, it seems. In my mind, its the HS that is the main important part, since its job is to absorb the heat, as well as dissipate it.

Another last thought, I don't think AS5 really works good on GPU's. Simply because its a bare core. I think that AS5 is suppose to work on IHS, in my opinion. Hell, I'm still using everything stock on my 8800GTS, min idle is 53C for today.

Only thing that I've pretty much learned, ambient temps are the main key, for lower temps. :D  . o O (just my nickles worth.)
November 25, 2007 11:37:24 PM

Actually my ambient temperature is around 23 Celsius...it's very weird. Might be just a heatsink problem, maybe paste (though I doubt it), will find out soon.

And of course I have a fan at the back! :p  One 80mm in front and one 120mm at rear of the case. Centurion case.
November 26, 2007 12:05:40 AM

There are so many things that come into play to determine this to an exact certainty it's almost rediculous.

Design of cooler
Temp of air blowing across HS
Altitude
Humidity [latent + sensible heat]
How many hours / days to cure.

I think AS5 has been proven to be very good so if you have a problem you probably didn't put it on right.

While it's nice to know your cpu won't burn up, it's more likely to become obsolete first. lol.

Certain people can find nothing better to do than argue over nothing. lol.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2007 12:14:13 AM

Er, AS5 is easier to find to, at least where I live. Seriously, if you care this much about temps get LN2 and remove individual atoms from the cooler base and IHS so that it is flat at an atomic level. Then you won't need any thermal paste.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2007 12:25:07 AM

^LOL, nice

I have tried both AS5 and TX-1 and in most cases the AS5 gets better results after about 1 month. The TX on the other hand gives you pretty immediate results compared to AS5.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2007 12:31:21 AM

It really doesn't matter that much anyway. TX-1/2 are unavailable here and same with shin-etsu x23. AS5 is available everywhere, and if 2C is worth the trouble of trying to find the stuff then go for it. I for one don't intend to pay $20 shipping from the US just for 2C of difference.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2007 12:42:17 AM

armoredsaint said:
if it sucks, at least try spelling it correctly.

LOL!!!

I think the title is a little misleading though, just because it is not top notch any more does not mean that it sucks! It still does it's job reasonably well for what it is. Now there are so many factors that affect a TIM performance that there is always a 1-3oC difference no matter how many tests you do or how you do them.
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2007 12:54:34 AM

I say by whatever you can find, or stick with the stock stuff. Though it's good to have some extra TIM around incase you need to reseat the cooler.
November 26, 2007 1:21:11 AM

Well sometimes 3C matters when it's between 71C and 68C. Since I can get my hands on both products, naturally I want to get the better one, especially if it's cheaper by $5.

Since when did spelling matter here anyway :D 
November 26, 2007 1:40:34 AM

Without even bothering to read a single benchmark, it's pretty obvious that AS5 earned a good reputation in the enthusiast community... that sort of reputation doesn't come easily and doesn't go away over night. It would take a LOT of concrete results to turn most of us away from it... way more than that one link you provided... especially given the method of testing. 200 hours is 200 hours... and they didn't take the time to properly test AS5. Not knocking the other products... just seems like the site had an agenda.
November 26, 2007 8:49:09 PM

You're right. I have no way of proving that Arctic silver is indeed worse than the other ones, after all, there's all these factors we have to consider. What I'm planning to do is to do the testing myself in a controlled environment, using the each paste for 1+ year. That way the longevity of the paste is also considered.

Well just wait for 5+years, I'll have my results by then :D 
November 26, 2007 9:17:21 PM

By then we'll all be using nitrogen...
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2007 1:19:10 AM

cnumartyr said:
AS5 has been dead.

Shin-Etsu X23 is also better from what I've heard. Comp had a link to the shootout but I'm not sure where it is.

I have AS5 on mine right now because it's "good enough." I have a tube of MX-2 because I like how easy it is to spread (used it on a couple other guys stuff) and it's non-conductive.

Hopefully though this might dispell some of the AS5 = King stuff that gets thrown around.

It's in the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Section 14: Recommendations

(B) Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, which is far more popular than it is effective. The first link shown below is to a very in-depth Thermal Interface Material (TIM) comparison that was posted 2/2/07 on Tom's Overclocking - Cooler and Heatsinks Forum, which was conducted by DaSickNinja. This 6 page thread is very revealing, however, the review has been moved to the second link shown below, Xtreme CPU.

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221751-29-daclan-revi...

Note: Due to Tom's servers forcing asterisks in the link below, when clicked it will cause "This page cannot be displayed". Simply backspace the 3 asterisks and type x-c-p-u-s without hyphens, then press enter.

Thermal Interface Material Comparison: http://www.***.com/forums/case-psu-cooling/3902-thermal-interface-material-comparison.html

Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 Thermal Interface Material (TIM) can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, and is simply the best TIM for CPU cooling.

X23 is available at the following sites:
http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=16932
http://www.ajigo-store.com/se7783d.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.ph...
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.ph...

Comp :sol: 
November 27, 2007 1:55:07 AM

Oh thanks bunch Comp, funny thing I read that sticky before, guess I didn't catch that part. I was just wondering, did he let the Arctic Silver cure for days, something everyone seems to want to argue about? Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 looks promising indeed.
November 27, 2007 2:04:32 AM

nightscope said:
That's a bunch of maybes, but the majority of consumers notice the best results after at least 200-400 hours of use.

Pffft that's like a week and a half. Whoopie doo. AS5 rules.
November 27, 2007 3:05:36 AM

I have always had excellent results with Arctic Ceramique myself. Easy to work with, and low temps every time. Cheap also.
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2007 4:27:48 AM

From the bottom of the previous page:

cnumartyr said:
AS5 has been dead.

It's in the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Section 14: Recommendations

(B) Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, which is far more popular than it is effective. The first link shown below is to a very in-depth Thermal Interface Material (TIM) comparison that was posted 2/2/07 on Tom's Overclocking - Cooler and Heatsinks Forum, which was conducted by DaSickNinja. This 6 page thread is very revealing, however, the review has been moved to the second link shown below, Xtreme CPU.

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221751-29-daclan-revi...

Note: Due to Tom's servers forcing asterisks in the link below, when clicked it will cause "This page cannot be displayed". Simply backspace the 3 asterisks and type x-c-p-u-s without hyphens, then press enter.

Thermal Interface Material Comparison: http://www.***.com/forums/case-psu-cooling/3902-thermal-interface-material-comparison.html

Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 Thermal Interface Material (TIM) can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, and is simply the best TIM for CPU cooling.

X23 is available at the following sites:

http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=16932
http://www.ajigo-store.com/se7783d.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.ph...
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.ph...

Comp :sol: 
!