Hard Drive broken?

Surion

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Hey all,

I got a problem,
i was running internet explorer and foobar for music, and suddenly my computer went very slow. CPU and RAM not stresses, but my hard drive led was shining all the time. I reboot, took around 2h30 to reboot, but after a second reboot all went well again, i ran some tests to be sure, and from these tests said my drive was still healthy.
After that i formatted my drive, and reinstalled everything, now, a week later, i have exactly the same problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this? No virusses (AVG), did a HJT log too, some people checked that log and didnt find anything.

System:

Intel Q6600
Asus p5q
sapphire radeon HD4850
Samsung spinpoint T166 (320gb)
kingston valueram ddr800 4gb
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bits

Some help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Surion

Turn on the task manager/performance monitor. It should tell you what process is generating lots of I/O's.

It is normal for a new install of Vista to see high HDD activity. It is indexing your computer information for fast search retrieval.

Your very long reboot suggests some other problem.
If the drive has a problem, then the drive manufacturer should have a diagnostic download available. The drive may be busy reallocating defective sectors.

Spyware is a possibility. Run scans from some different sources; no single program seems to catch everything.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I've had this happen on a none bootable HD. Whenever it was plugged in, 2 + hour boot times.

Never really found out what caused it but I would back everything up and send the drive back if still in warranty or just get a new one. I never trust a drive after it starts giving me problems.

TRENDING THREADS