Sign in with
Your question

Can't delete folders in XP

Last response: in Windows XP
April 16, 2010 12:28:06 PM

Here's a week ending challenge!

On my root directory I have three folders. Each folder has about fifteen levels underneath. All three end at a folder that when double-clicked on does nothing; doesn't open, no error message, just a brief hour-glass. Neither of the three folders on the root nor any of the folders underneath them can be copied, moved, renamed or deleted.

I believe all three folders are the result of something related to Norton Ghost. But Ghost is no longer installed on the computer.

The main reason I want to get rid of them is every time any scan or search of the drive takes place, these folders cause the scan/search to take hours.

I booted to safe mode and tried deleting, renaming, copying, moving - no luck.

I attempted to change rights in both normal and safe mode - no luck.

I did a CHKDSK - no luck.

I booted to ERD Commander and attempted to delete, rename, copy and move - still no luck.

I also used ERD to try to change rights - also no luck.

I figure that if booting to ERD Commander doesn't do it those files are there to stay.

Other than reformatting the drive which is not feasible does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your time and hopefully, help!

Ron

More about : delete folders

April 16, 2010 2:38:03 PM

Yes I did scan using Malwarebytes. Interestingly, Malwarebytes found nothing but Kaspersky found and removed several major things. Everything listed above I did after cleaning the machine. I'll give Rivo Uninstaller a shot. Thank you for your reply.

Ron
m
l
April 17, 2010 12:24:24 AM

What are the names of the 3 main folders?
Try GIPO Move-on-Boot or Unlocker.
m
l
!