Replacing Everything Except the Hard Drive?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm rebuilding my brother's computer, and am replacing basically everything except the case, a few odds and ends, and the hard drive. Obviously, the HD has Windows and all the other fun stuff on it. Can I just remove all the old hardware (mobo, etc), install the new stuff, plug in the hard drive, and power right back up?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
No,

If the mobo is different, and the dvd drive, modem, sound card, etc then you will prolly be required to reactivate windows and reinstall the drivers for the new hardware.

YMMV, but they (MS) can be sticky on that stuff.....

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I read an article once that explained how to move to a new motherboard without re-installing windows. Google it. I don't know if it works though. You will probably be better off to backup the data on the old installation and re-install windows on the new setup.That way you're starting with a fresh,clean system.

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'd start with a fresh system too, especially if your brother's computer was a OEM computer. I've tried to transplant a Dell XP installation to my new motherboard but it blue screens at boot.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah, it was a Falcon NW. I'm seeing if they gave him a full copy of Windows (which I doubt). Otherwise, I might have him move up to Vista.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
It is possible to repair your installation and it may work, but I wouldn't recommend it at all as it may produce instabilities and issues later on.

Far better to take the plunge, and to make sure that you can do this easily in future (i.e. organise your data so that it is separated from your OS).

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
He wanted to format the drive anyway, so data wise it really doesn't matter. I'm still trying to figure out if Falcon gave him a full copy of the OS. Anyone out there with FNW's?

foste

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I can't speak for XP but we tried that in windows98 and the system's caused problems and blue screens. We have never attempted it since... quite tramatic, wailing and nashing of teeth.
-however-
I don't think you'd have to worry about corrupting your hard drive, so what would you have to loose? Make sure the CD has the same letter as the old system. The new mother board will be looking for a lot of new drivers.

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
Yup a fresh install will fix the issue. i had the same thing happen 2 me.... after u reinstall u will be ready to go