Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Phenom FX cooling solutions. I know it hasn't come out yet.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 25, 2007 7:25:27 PM

I was wondering f there was are any cooling systems for the upcoming AMD Phenom FX. i.e. TEC cooling, Water cooling, or Forced air cooling. And I was also wondering if I should swith to Crossfire or stick with SLI because of the new quad Crossfire and the compatability with the Phenom line and the 790 chipset
November 25, 2007 7:45:32 PM

Well they work in AM2 motherboards, so anything that would work on the chips that fit in those boards would work, which means pretty much all the same stuff works.
November 25, 2007 7:59:57 PM

well what about socket F+?
Related resources
November 25, 2007 8:11:52 PM

You have to remember that it is the AM2 socket you must match. The heat envelope will need some consideration, so maybe the Tuniq tower would be a good investment.
November 25, 2007 8:46:20 PM

wait socket F+ is a dual socket. wouldn't 2 tuniq towers not fit?
November 25, 2007 8:48:47 PM

alexyuam12 said:
wait socket F+ is a dual socket. wouldn't 2 tuniq towers not fit?



Best cooling solution for Quad FX is Water cooling. You aren't going to get the hefty awesome air coolers in there.

With the heat that the Phenom is putting out you might end up needing a 3 fan radiator PER processor. Hope you find a big case.
November 25, 2007 8:51:13 PM

Assuming your not just asking questions to ask questions.... use a socket F cooler. Typically it's good to do a little research and then ask specific questions. Not that i did any research to answer your question, so if it's wrong ...
November 25, 2007 9:37:54 PM

huh? ASUS L1N64-SLI WS has a socket L (1207FX) what is that? Is socket L = F+
November 25, 2007 10:04:11 PM

Socket L, F+ and 1207FX are different names used for the same thing.
November 25, 2007 10:10:19 PM

^^Yup. Confusing, but they're just cool like that. I think water cooling is going to be the best option for the Pheonom. Most consistent way to get a solid overclock if set up properly.
November 25, 2007 10:12:38 PM

yes i think so too. or a TEC
November 25, 2007 10:13:47 PM

alexyuam12 said:
yes i think so too. or a TEC



Personally I think TECs aren't efficient enough. It's a waste of power (in my opinion). If you want an "extreme" option like that, get a Phase Change.
November 25, 2007 10:25:35 PM

thats a bit too extreme for me. while we're on cooling SSD (solid state drives) don't produce heat right?
November 25, 2007 10:48:47 PM

I agree with cnumartyr, the TEC's are a waste of wattage in your system, definitely not worth it as far as efficiency is concerned. I think the Phase Change is an option, but only if you're willing go that route.

Still feel a solid liquid cooling system would do the best job. Something Swiftech would be most efficient as far as cooling and price.
November 25, 2007 11:00:30 PM

alexyuam12 said:
thats a bit too extreme for me. while we're on cooling SSD (solid state drives) don't produce heat right?


Everything produces heat. :kaola: 

That being said I don't know about heat production of an SSD vs a Regular HDD. I do know that SSDs are rediculously expensive compared to traditional drives for storage.

As PlugComputers said, get Liquid Cooling. Plain old Pump, Res, Block, and Radiators.
November 25, 2007 11:05:29 PM

Don't neglect the case either. A quality liquid cooling setup with a good case will match about anything else out there. Combination of good airflow and efficient liquid cooling will be hard to beat.
November 25, 2007 11:08:40 PM

PlugComputers said:
Don't neglect the case either. A quality liquid cooling setup with a good case will match about anything else out there. Combination of good airflow and efficient liquid cooling will be hard to beat.


I like Lian-Li's myself. Not rediculously expensive, nice build quality, and easily modified for what I need. I can normally fit atleast 2 radiators inside of it with a 3rd hanging off the back with a Radbox.
March 11, 2010 8:55:54 PM

alexyuam12 said:
I was wondering f there was are any cooling systems for the upcoming AMD Phenom FX. i.e. TEC cooling, Water cooling, or Forced air cooling. And I was also wondering if I should swith to Crossfire or stick with SLI because of the new quad Crossfire and the compatability with the Phenom line and the 790 chipset


Yes AMD has a cooler that uses forced air cooling. It performs better than Intel's i7 cooler. It is lighter and quieter. It is shipped with their boxed processor.
!