AMD Phenom FX cooling solutions. I know it hasn't come out yet.

alexyuam12

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I was wondering f there was are any cooling systems for the upcoming AMD Phenom FX. i.e. TEC cooling, Water cooling, or Forced air cooling. And I was also wondering if I should swith to Crossfire or stick with SLI because of the new quad Crossfire and the compatability with the Phenom line and the 790 chipset

jerrardo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Well they work in AM2 motherboards, so anything that would work on the chips that fit in those boards would work, which means pretty much all the same stuff works.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
You have to remember that it is the AM2 socket you must match. The heat envelope will need some consideration, so maybe the Tuniq tower would be a good investment.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Best cooling solution for Quad FX is Water cooling. You aren't going to get the hefty awesome air coolers in there.

With the heat that the Phenom is putting out you might end up needing a 3 fan radiator PER processor. Hope you find a big case.

jerrardo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Assuming your not just asking questions to ask questions.... use a socket F cooler. Typically it's good to do a little research and then ask specific questions. Not that i did any research to answer your question, so if it's wrong ...

PlugComputers

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
^^Yup. Confusing, but they're just cool like that. I think water cooling is going to be the best option for the Pheonom. Most consistent way to get a solid overclock if set up properly.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Personally I think TECs aren't efficient enough. It's a waste of power (in my opinion). If you want an "extreme" option like that, get a Phase Change.

PlugComputers

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I agree with cnumartyr, the TEC's are a waste of wattage in your system, definitely not worth it as far as efficiency is concerned. I think the Phase Change is an option, but only if you're willing go that route.

Still feel a solid liquid cooling system would do the best job. Something Swiftech would be most efficient as far as cooling and price.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Everything produces heat. :kaola:

That being said I don't know about heat production of an SSD vs a Regular HDD. I do know that SSDs are rediculously expensive compared to traditional drives for storage.

As PlugComputers said, get Liquid Cooling. Plain old Pump, Res, Block, and Radiators.

PlugComputers

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Don't neglect the case either. A quality liquid cooling setup with a good case will match about anything else out there. Combination of good airflow and efficient liquid cooling will be hard to beat.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I like Lian-Li's myself. Not rediculously expensive, nice build quality, and easily modified for what I need. I can normally fit atleast 2 radiators inside of it with a 3rd hanging off the back with a Radbox.

theali

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Yes AMD has a cooler that uses forced air cooling. It performs better than Intel's i7 cooler. It is lighter and quieter. It is shipped with their boxed processor.