Will I see a big improvement in performance with the Phenom??

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
hey...

I currently have an AMD 6000+ oced to 3.2...Im wondering if will see a big improvement in performance from the Phenom 9700 if i pick one up later in the year?

Thanks guysss

Only in heavily multithreaded applications

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If its primarily for gaming, you will see a definite loss in performance.
Most games are not optimized for quad cores.

The Phenom is per cycle gain in formance is not nearly enough to overcome it's low clock rate.

Numerous reports say that it becomes quite unstable when OC'd.
Most likely due to the L3 cache issues.

Personally, I would not touch the Phenoms until they fix the issues.

sailer

Splendid
I htink this is a case of "It depends". Since the Phenom 9700 got recalled, when it is finally released, the bugs may be fixed and it may perform substantially better. This is something we won't know for sure until the chip gets re-released. At the same time, I wouldn't count on it.

Figuring that you have an AM2 machine, a better chip to buy would be a 5000+ Black Edition. Or if you want to go to the Spider platform, you could still use the 5000+ BE in that and get better performance than the present Phenom with the speed advantage of having DDR2-1066 ram instead of the standard DDR2-800.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Considering he already has a 6000 clocked to 3.2 GHz, buying a "black edition" anything isnt going to net him much performance gain..just cash loss.

To OP:
Youre near the peak of performance with an AMD, unless you go to a good quality (expensive) liquid cooling setup. Sorry.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
if will see a big improvement in performance from the Phenom 9700 if i pick one up later in the year?
Already pretty late in the year. It should be out early next year, though, and still slower than current system for most any task using < 3 worker threads. That includes current games.

Since the Phenom 9700 got recalled, when it is finally released, the bugs may be fixed and it may perform substantially better.
If the new stepping is only for the purpose of fixing bugs, then peak performance will either stay the same or drop slightly at a given clock.

Youre near the peak of performance with an AMD, unless you go to a good quality (expensive) liquid cooling setup. Sorry.
Turpit has it spot-on.

x4 is a hard sell because one can't repeat the "background apps" argument for buying x2. Hardly any game fully exercises two cores, so there's plenty of processing power on an x2 for your background tasks.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Dude you have a sweet system it should serve you well for at least another year.........................

Maybe longer... :D

Unless you want to build a new system and you have money to blow and want to take it for a test drive....I would just stick with what you have.

I agree with sticking with your 6000+ as you have it OC'ed near a 6400+ which beat the Phenom in most everything. Right now if you switch to Phenom you will only bottleneck yourself in gaming especially since you probably cannot hit past 2.4GHz without performance loss due to the L3 cache. Maybe even not past 2.3GHz.

If you wait a year Nehalem will be out and you can compare that vs what AMD has out if they get Phenom up and running properly or maybe(and thats a big maybe) Bulldozer is released. If it does take AMD to Q2 of 08 to release a working version of Phenom past 2.3GHz I doubt Bulldozer will be out as that would negate people from even buying Phenom since Bulldozer will be out.

As I said stick with what you have till after the new year to get a good idea of the best performer and unless AMD can really fix the L3 problems by then its a lost hope for looking to upgrade for another year+.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I'm staying with my 6000+ until there is a Phenom at about 2.6ish or higher.
Hopefully by that time, I'd imagine about mid '08 then there will be more programs/games quad-core optimised and I would see a performance benefit over my X2. :)

sailer

Splendid

True. I just figured that the 5000+ Black Edition would be cheaper than a Phenom and give better performance for less than half the money. When it comes to cash loss, some people, will spend large amounts of money for very small gains of performance. What else could explain all the high performance ram that's sold? People spend hundreds of dollars on ram for a couple more frames.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

True. I understand your point and agree, but in his specific case, the manufacturer isnt offering anything else that gives any more than he already has.