Samsung S223F Super writemaster doesnt read discs anymore, did before

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I put this thing in on my new computer that I built and it read CDs and DVDs and everything no problem.

The next day I changed out a bad hard drive which was the only change I did to the computer, and now the drive wont read ANY CDs or DVDs or installation discs for games....BUT, it has no problem reading the disc that came with the drive...The Samsung DVD writer disc...with user manuals and updates.

What is going on here. I have tried different SATA cables and different ports...

It shows up in the My computer that there is a drive, same with device manager, and I have tried the registry deletion of the updates but there arent any updates to delete.

Thanks

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
What the HELL. I replaced the other one today and everything was working and I was playing Crysis by the way on Very High settings which was amaizng...

Then I got off and installed SPeedfan and everest to check my computer temps and now the CD DVD drive doesnt work again...

What in the world is going on here.

Jon87

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Hi bmwm3oz

I have had almost identical problems to you by the sound of it. The first SH-S223F which came with my new computer was working fine for 48 hours and then mysteriously stopped reading dvds or cds. I phoned up and got a replacement and after roughly 48 hours of working correctly the drive has stopped reading dvds but still reads cds. This seems to suggest it is a hardware rather than software fault as different lasers are used to read dvds and cds.

I think rather than getting another free replacement I might just buy a different model. Hope that helps

goeroezeboe

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I have both of these drives in my pc aswell
they won't read any cd's, dvd's or anything anymore either.

First only one of them failed, now both of them suffer the same faith.

worst DVD/CD drives I ever owned ...