Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DDR3 or DDR2?!

Last response: in Memory
Share
December 11, 2007 3:16:28 AM

So, I'm giving my computer a makover. I really don't know if I should go with a DDR2 mobo, and have cheap memory that I know works, or go with DDR3, and be future since it will be the mainstream memory soon. I don't really have unlimited funds, but I have enough for 2 gigs of DDR3 or 4 gigs of DDR2. (I refuse to go to Vista for 8).

Please post what you would buy.

Thanks.

More about : ddr3 ddr2

December 11, 2007 5:30:20 AM

My guess is that it will be time for your next motherboard before DDR3 gets as cheap as DDR2 is now, so go with DDR2 for this MB, and DDR3 for the next.
December 12, 2007 1:47:28 PM

Exactly what I am doing. I probably wont get DDR3 until the end of 2008. That is a whole other year for prices to drop. I might wait longer if I get really really good DDR2.
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 12, 2007 1:51:37 PM

Agreed - Give DDR3 another year unless you just *have* to have the absolute fastest Cost~Is~No~Object latest and greatest in E-Peenery system.
December 12, 2007 2:56:11 PM

DDR3 really doesn't offer much improvement atm over ddr2 when you think of price/performance ratio. Also, DDR3 only really begins to shine when you get above the 1600 mhz ddr3 mark.

Save some cash, and just nab 4 gb of DDR2..It will get you a lot farther. You should always spend more money on other components then splurging on ram, you'll see more of a difference.
December 12, 2007 5:40:13 PM

You are using a 64 bit system then right?
December 12, 2007 7:13:01 PM

Good point, if the OP isn't using a 64 bit OS, whether its Vista 64, XP64, or Linux 64, the four gig of memory is overkill. I'm not even sure a 32 bit OS would address DDR3.

Beyond that, unless a person has money to burn, DDR2 is the way to go for quite some time.
December 13, 2007 2:39:33 AM

So can xp only register 2-3gb? I will be using dual boot with XP32 and Vista64 Ultimate. I need the 4gb for Crysis, DX10, and Vista.
December 13, 2007 2:45:01 AM

underbyte18 said:
So can xp only register 2-3gb? I will be using dual boot with XP32 and Vista64 Ultimate. I need the 4gb for Crysis, DX10, and Vista.


XP 32 bit will only use about 3.2-3.5 gig of ram. It will still work fine if there's more, but it just won't use it.

XP64 Pro and Vista 64 will use the 4 gig of ram just fine.
December 13, 2007 3:22:01 AM

I get a little confused about the 64 bit.. If you get a 64 bit OS ( XP or Vista) then do they sell hardware to match this, or is it all just drivers for the hardware? I've never seen a 64 bit chip listed but just making sure, Im new to building.. Thanks in advance..
a b } Memory
December 13, 2007 3:25:56 AM

You could get the X38 mobo that has support for both DDR2 for now and then DDR3 when it matures and gets cheaper.

Or just go DDR2 now wait till 2009 and get a 32nm Nehalem Octo core, 2GB DDR3(will be cheaper then and faster) and we will see what Larabee is all about. Thats my plan.
December 13, 2007 3:36:06 AM

Kamrooz said:
DDR3 really doesn't offer much improvement atm over ddr2 when you think of price/performance ratio. Also, DDR3 only really begins to shine when you get above the 1600 mhz ddr3 mark.

Save some cash, and just nab 4 gb of DDR2..It will get you a lot farther. You should always spend more money on other components then splurging on ram, you'll see more of a difference.


I agree with this guy, by the time DDR3 goes mainstream, 1600MHz would just be the mainstream speed. Just look at DDR2 before, 800MHz was the king, but later 1066MHz modules started appearing.

Get your 4gb DDR2, it is more than adequate as of now and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.


sailer said:
Good point, if the OP isn't using a 64 bit OS, whether its Vista 64, XP64, or Linux 64, the four gig of memory is overkill. I'm not even sure a 32 bit OS would address DDR3.



I don't see how a 32-bit OS wouldn't be able to address DDR3, as it is a physical improvement and I believe there aren't really any changes in how it is addressed. There was no update released when boards started coming out with DDR2. :D 
December 13, 2007 4:43:42 AM

I would stay with DDR2 for the next year, then when they start to sell DDR4 or what ever they call the next batch of ram that they will come out, with I would look at DDR3.
Right now DDR2 is so cheap because manufacturers ramped up production for Vista, and we all know what is going on there.
For me it's DDR2 for at least the next year.
December 13, 2007 6:28:02 AM

Same...DDR2, DDR3 isn't worth it right now.
December 13, 2007 7:43:26 AM

saintones said:
I get a little confused about the 64 bit.. If you get a 64 bit OS ( XP or Vista) then do they sell hardware to match this, or is it all just drivers for the hardware? I've never seen a 64 bit chip listed but just making sure, Im new to building.. Thanks in advance..


Slightly off topic but... The only hardware you need is a 64bit cpu. Almost all new CPUs you can buy are 64 bit and work with either 32 bit or 64 bit OSs. Besides that u just need the correct drivers for your OS to get your other hardware to work. Most hardware has 64bit drivers these days.
December 13, 2007 3:06:41 PM

amnotanoobie said:
I don't see how a 32-bit OS wouldn't be able to address DDR3, as it is a physical improvement and I believe there aren't really any changes in how it is addressed. There was no update released when boards started coming out with DDR2. :D 


Like I wrote, I wasn't sure. Since I wrote that, I read an article from Anandtech where they did use 32 bit XP with DDR3 on an ASUS Maximus Extreme board. Therefore I can now say for sure that it would work. However, if I myself invested that much money into a new machine, I would use a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of the hardware.
December 13, 2007 7:04:39 PM

Memoery is less performance share in total. The most important is the video card and processor. As long as your memory size is enough no matter how many mhz as long as the refresh rate is good its FAST
December 13, 2007 7:36:46 PM

pogsnet is absolutely right! Investing hundreds more for a couple percentiles of performance sure seems silly, especially considering the quality and quantity of DDR2 you can get for your money.

People forget (myself included) that there is nothing wrong with the current mainstream products and get caught up in the latest and greatest. Not everyone who plays Crysis has DDR3 memory, most get buy with the standard stuff. DDR3 is purely for enthusiasts... with deep pockets.
!