Purchasing in 2 weeks!

NSFW

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Hi again guys...

So after months of waiting to see how Laptops we're panning out with some new tech and how my finances we're sorting itself out, I've decided to go back to building a PC from scratch. Found out for the price of the Laptop I wanted, I could get a cheaper Laptop, and a damn good PC as well.

I'm looking to purchase in about 2 weeks. My budget is $2000 AUD give or take $100-$200. The webpage I'm referencing prices from is: www.pricespy.com.au

Now, I've managed pretty well within my budget, but I'm hoping you guys can streamline it a little.

Case

Antec 182 Black $190
http://www.pricespy.com.au/pno_10934.html

Love this case.

PSU

Corsair 620W Modular $172
http://www.pricespy.com.au/c_452.html?d=4679&p=166397

90% certain this is overkill, unless I upgrade to a SLI set. Anyone able to recommend an alternative, quality, lower W (but MUST be modular) PSU?

Heatsink

Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme $71

I live in Brisbane and it can get hot here, so I can only settle for the best cooling option. Anybody able to recommend a fan?

CPU

Intel Q6600 Go Steppin $285
http://www.pricespy.com.au/c_661.html?d=9987

No need for help on this part, I know it's a solid purchase.

Memory

OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 2GBX2 REAPER HPC 4-4-4 $333
http://www.mtechcomputers.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_16_29&products_id=2457

Best 4-4-4-15 set memory I can find (so far, still looking) for price. Cheaper out there, but with slower timings.

Graphics

EVGA 8800 GT $390

In stock and available over here in Aus. I only have a 1200 x 1024 Res monitor, so I know it's a bit over kill. Going with it anyway, because a new monitor in the future is very possible.

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R P35 160

What I need the most help with. I'm only purchasing 1 Graphics card, so I understand I do not need a SLI motherboard. This means I'd likely choose the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R P35 (or DS4?).

If I do go SLI, that means I likely need the Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 nVidia nForce 680i. Correct? Does it OC alrite with the Q6600? It's a bit more then double the price as the DSR3 and about $160 less then the DSR4. So I'm guessing not worth it, considering I don't have a monitor or second card at the moment to abuse. Best bet to wait until I buy a new monitor and graphics card and wait for a price drop on the board at the same time? Save the money now and put it toward an upgrade later.

Begs the question though, do I buy the 620W for future proof, since it is within budget and might as well?

Is SLI even worth it outside of say Crysis at the moment? Crysis doesn't really interest me all that much.

EDIT: Massive edit, changed a fews things.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Good choices, the psu is overkill for your computer. Also those motherboards are not sli. So the psu it to much. Also the ram i think is way overpriced. You should just get 4x1gb sticks.

NSFW

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
EDIT: (Post irrelevant now with edited update in OP)

Just a general question instead. Is there any unexpected technology, just around the corner that I should be watching out for? I'm out of the loop as usual, and I do have a good 2 month patience span if needed.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Build looks fairly good apart from the GPU. But it will do until the next gen high end comes out!!!
Dell has some good prices on monitors at the moment - 24" $999 and 30" $1599

UTNemesis

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Holy cow! $390 for the 8800GT? Good lord. Unless you're not worried about it, wait for the GTs to become more readily available, or perhaps the 3870s instead. I know the 8800GTs aren't available in the U.S. and such, but at least most retailers aren't raising the prices that high. (I'm assuming USD and AUD are pretty close)

NSFW

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

What's wrong with the GPU O_O? I dont' plan to wait until the next gen comes out, because they'll cost way more then I can afford. Seems right now the GT is the best buy for performance almost hands down. SLI it sometime in the future, and I'm laughing.

Uhh and $390 AUD (including GST) is a descent price for the GT over here in AUS. Newegg is selling the EVGA for $300. Works out to $334 AUD. Them adding an extra $60 bucks to that isn't unheard of to be honest. I lived in NZ for 5 years, and I always paid a premium on anything I wanted. If you think the market for PC parts moves fast in the US, come over to this side of the equator. You're already reading about people using the next gen stuff JUST as our last gen stuff becomes affordable =/. It's torture sometimes.