Sign in with
Your question

How do i go about formatting my hard drive from my bios?

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2008 8:58:11 AM

Well i try to formatt my hard drive from my bios but couldn't find or figure out where to do this in my bios, so if anybody can help me out doing this and tell me where to exactly go in the bios setup it would be much apprieciated.

Thank You,
a b G Storage
August 9, 2008 9:10:56 AM

If you mean low level format, it isn't nessesary (or advised); if you mean high level format, you can't, the format is OS dependant.
August 9, 2008 9:15:17 AM

I did mean high high level and and tried fromatting the hard drive frime my OS and when it finished it said it couldn't be formatted, can you tell me what the problem is or what i can do to resolve this problem?
Related resources
August 9, 2008 9:37:34 AM

You can't format your drive from the BIOS. The drive could be damaged. See if you have SMART monitoring in the BIOS and turn it on, it is usually disabled by default. Download the drive manufacturers tools and burn the CD version ISO image to a CD with ISO Recorder v2, or other ISO burning software, and boot to the CD and run the diagnostic. They usually have a bootable floppy version as well.

You can also partition and format the HD with these tools. I would link to them but you didn't list the drive.

After you have confirmed that the drive is good, but before a format, obviously, you can wipe the drive completely to clear any data on the disk. To do this download Ultimate Boot CD and run Active@kill disk to write zeros to the entire disk. You will need ISO Recorder v2 to burn this ISO also.
August 9, 2008 9:50:36 AM

Zorg said:
You can't format your drive from the BIOS. The drive could be damaged. See if you have SMART monitoring in the BIOS and turn it on, it is usually disabled by default. Download the drive manufacturers tools and burn the CD version ISO image to a CD with ISO Recorder v2, or other ISO burning software, and boot to the CD and run the diagnostic. They usually have a bootable floppy version as well.

You can also partition and format the HD with these tools. I would link to them but you didn't list the drive.

After you have confirmed that the drive is good, but before a format, obviously, you can wipe the drive completely to clear any data on the disk. To do this download Ultimate Boot CD and run Active@kill disk to write zeros to the entire disk. You will need ISO Recorder v2 to burn this ISO also.

My Drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 gigs
August 9, 2008 2:15:32 PM

How are you going to run the windows version when you don't have windows installed?

Use the DOS version, it is bootable. I believe there is also a copy on the UBCD but I don't think it is as new.
a b G Storage
August 10, 2008 5:03:31 AM

@inspector71:
Make sure you have any BIOS virus protection disabled, if is, try Ultimate Boot CD and test the drive; it's also (some times) worth deleting any existing partitions and re-creating.
August 10, 2008 8:31:42 AM

Just something else to try when attempting a high level format from OS CD/DVD... When you go to format your HDD if it says something along the lines of 'partitioned blah bla' next to the drive letter ie C:, then delete the partition even if it doesn't look like you have one. You should get prompted 2-3 times are you sure, yes to them all then you may be able to format the drive. Then create the partitions etc...
a b G Storage
August 10, 2008 10:19:32 AM

You can high-level format using the Windows CD/DVD. Just boot from the disk.
August 10, 2008 1:09:32 PM

^He tried that and it failed.
August 10, 2008 1:59:03 PM

SOME HD WILL NOT FORMAT IF IT IS PARTITIONED, SO DELETE ANY
PARTITIONS AND REFORMAT (SOME LARGE DRIVES)
a b G Storage
August 10, 2008 2:46:01 PM

Quick question: Dose the BIOS see the HDD?
August 10, 2008 8:16:59 PM

^I was thinking the same thing.
a b G Storage
August 10, 2008 10:57:51 PM

Zorg said:
^He tried that and it failed.

I thought he was trying it from inside Windows, not the DVD. And I just realised that the person who posted before me said the same thing, hmm... must be blind.
August 11, 2008 2:37:05 PM

I can't count the times that I missed something it's so many.
!