Intel Extreme QX9650 (NEED HELP!!)W/HEATSINK

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
If it is a Boxed processor it will be in the box with the processor. If you bought an OEM processor then you will need to buy an after market Heatsink. I don't believe Intel has put up the new heatsinks on shop.intel.com yet.

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
would this work Asus Silent Knight- Ultra Silent Heatpipe Cooler... do u have any better ideas. thanks for the help

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
That should work just fine. I have played with an Engineering sample of the new Extreme Edition Intel heatsink. I liked it. Very light weight. It does not use a solid copper slug like the older Intel heatsinks. It uses a hollow copper slug that has a liquid in it and the whole thing works as a heatpipe.

It moves a lot of air at the default silent speed so it will keep the Vreg cool along with the MCH.

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
ok just read a review on newegg.com that the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 is not supported on a striker extreme this is wrong right??

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Right, I would be very cautious about running a 45nm quad-core on a 680 chipset in particular, even if the manufacturer previously claimed compatibility. Chipsets like P35 and X38 have official support for the Penryn.

I agree with the above post. ALthough Asus has stated that they are able to support the Penryns with their 680i most are having issues. I would check Asus forums to make sure as if there are any problems people will state it.

I would also make sure to download and upgrade to the latest BIOS before anything to make sure it has support for the Penryn. The latest BIOS will also state if it was for CPU compatability in the description as mine did(P5K-E WiFI/AP) for the 806 BIOS.

Now just to check I did a bit of research on the mobo at Asus website and under the CPU support it does not have the Q9650 listed. Mine does but was unable to find it for yours so you might want to look into a P35 chipset unless they release a 700 series nForce chipset soon.

So as for right now you might not want to get that mobo untill Asus has official support for the Q9650 or it will be a waste of money for a non booting system.

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
LGA775 Intel® 45nm Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel 45nm CPU which introduces new micro-architecture features for greater performance at a given frequency, up to 50% larger L2 caches, and expanded power management capabilities for new levels of energy efficiency.

(from asus site)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Sounds to me that Intel pulled Penryn's support for 680i at the last moment, possibly a retaliation against Nvidia's unwillingness to license SLI on Intel chipset..... I suspect a cold war breaking out between Intel and Nvidia...

Hopefully it works out for you... It isn't fun to be stuck in the middle of the war.

jamesro

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

isnt the desktop 45nm CPU actually wolfdale for the dual core and yorkfield for the quad?
penryn refers to mobile cpu 45nm technology in laptops...
i think thats right

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Hey Yomama,

Please explain how Intel could pull support? Either the chipset can support or it can't. If it can then it comes down to the CPU Vreg supporting the correct VID's. Then there is the uCode. They could pull that but Nvidia and Intel already did the cross-licensing. Unless Intel wants to break that then they would be going to court. I have heard nothing about that. Someone look to see what uCodes are listed in the Bios release notes for the 680i based motherboards. If they have a uCode listed with 606 in it then that is the one that supports Yorkfield processors.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Intel could retract support by simply alter Penryn's required VRM module, or like you said, microcode, or by other means. It is a lot easier to make a processor incompatible with a platform than compatible.

But of course, I'm just throwing out my speculations. It could be a problem regarding Nvidia's chipset (which I heard they have numerous problems with C2Q), or other unforeseen problems. I just feel that a little conspiracy might jive this forum a little bit :D...

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Point taken.

Onto another topic. I'm betting that in the European Anti-competitive case that Intel will make the issue of selling processors below cost to be their biggest issue to prove that AMD's claims are unsupported.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

They can't.. because predatory pricing (selling below cost) is also an anti-competitive practice, and punishable by law.

I seriously doubt Intel would sell below cost... at best sell near the cost (like classmates), but definitely not selling below cost (no matter how BM insisted).

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

Penryn is the name for the series of processor. Yorkfield is the Desktop Quad Penryn, Wolfdale Desktop Dual Penryn, and Harpertown is the "Xeon" Penryn. I dunno the official name off the top of my head for the Mobile Penryns, but I'm sure somoene will.