Just need a simple solution & explaination

nigels

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
my broadband suddenly gone slow. have signed up for wireless broadband from telecom nz. it says 256kbps its become extremely slow like dial up speed. my limit is 3GB per month and on usage u get dial up speed, but i know for sure i have not used my limit. what are are the reasons that broad band gets slow. my lap top is core2duo its not old model. does the fault lie with telecom nz. just not too familiar with the tech terms & how to improve this speed coz it was good at first.

G

If you are using a wireless link between laptop and router your maximum speed will often be half the supplied speed -- and often much worse.

For example I have (allegedly) 16megabit ADSL -- by the time it gets to my computer 50ft and one floor and three walls away from the router I'm lucky to get 2mb.

Raise the wireless router above furniture level, relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from computer or router. Try changing channels -- some frequencies work better in some environments -- look for neighbouring wifi networks and move to a channel 5 stops from strongest.

256kbps is very slow, so you need to also look at your link to the supplier (presumably ADSL) start by checking that the router is plugged into the master telephone socket not an extension. You can buy sockets which will isolate the extension, reducing noise.