Folder View

For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the screen.
On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK for me in
Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details" view. So I
manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I want. Windows
will display those folders and files the way I reset their view until the
machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to display as icons.
Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons, which must be some
sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can think of in Folder
Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot choose to display some
folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the rest with details, then I
want then all to show details.

Joe McGuire
4 answers Last reply
More about folder view

    Hi Joe,

    WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it
    starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this
    number:

    Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi Joe,
    >
    > WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it
    > starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this
    > number:

    > Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

    Is there a way to determine how many folders exist?

    Once you changed to the details view. In the Menu at the top of the window,
    choose Tools-Folder Options-Views-Apply to all Folders.

    "Joe McGuire" wrote:

    > For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
    > folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
    > folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the screen.
    > On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK for me in
    > Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details" view. So I
    > manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I want. Windows
    > will display those folders and files the way I reset their view until the
    > machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to display as icons.
    > Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons, which must be some
    > sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can think of in Folder
    > Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot choose to display some
    > folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the rest with details, then I
    > want then all to show details.
    >
    > Joe McGuire

    Great! Thanks!

    "PL" <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Once you changed to the details view. In the Menu at the top of the
    > window,
    > choose Tools-Folder Options-Views-Apply to all Folders.
    >
    > "Joe McGuire" wrote:
    >
    >> For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
    >> folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
    >> folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the
    >> screen.
    >> On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK for me
    >> in
    >> Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details" view. So I
    >> manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I want.
    >> Windows
    >> will display those folders and files the way I reset their view until the
    >> machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to display as
    >> icons.
    >> Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons, which must be some
    >> sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can think of in Folder
    >> Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot choose to display some
    >> folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the rest with details, then
    >> want then all to show details.
    >>
    >> Joe McGuire

Icons Windows XP Displays