Folder View

July 17, 2005 2:13:09 PM

For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the screen.
On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK for me in
Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details" view. So I
manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I want. Windows
will display those folders and files the way I reset their view until the
machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to display as icons.
Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons, which must be some
sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can think of in Folder
Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot choose to display some
folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the rest with details, then I
want then all to show details.

Joe McGuire

More about : folder view

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:37:05 PM

Hi Joe,

WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it
starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this
number:

Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 8wlrmtiFHA.3012@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
> folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
> folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the
> screen. On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK
> for me in Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details"
> view. So I manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I
> want. Windows will display those folders and files the way I reset their
> view until the machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to
> display as icons. Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons,
> which must be some sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can
> think of in Folder Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot
> choose to display some folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the
> rest with details, then I want then all to show details.
>
> Joe McGuire

July 17, 2005 10:46:54 PM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it
> starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this
> number:

> Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

Is there a way to determine how many folders exist?
July 18, 2005 12:05:05 PM

Once you changed to the details view. In the Menu at the top of the window,
choose Tools-Folder Options-Views-Apply to all Folders.

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

> For some reason I cannot get my WinXPPro computer to consistently display
> folders the way I want them. When I browse through Windows Explorer the
> folders are duly listed in the tree display on the left side of the screen.
> On the right, however, all are displayed as icons. Icons are OK for me in
> Control Panel but for everything else I prefer the "Details" view. So I
> manukally change each window as I go browsing to find what I want. Windows
> will display those folders and files the way I reset their view until the
> machine is rebooted. Folders I did not reset continue to display as icons.
> Once I reboot the display of folders reverts to icons, which must be some
> sort of default setting. I have tried whatever I can think of in Folder
> Options. Any ideas how to fix this? If I cannot choose to display some
> folders (e.g., Control Panel) with icons and the rest with details, then I
> want then all to show details.
>
> Joe McGuire

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:30:51 PM