Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 boot error 0xc000000f after installing win 7 on a 2ndary hdd

Last response: in Windows 7
August 21, 2011 7:40:04 PM

Hello,

I recently installed windows 7 on a secondary hard drive. After I was finished I took the hard drive out, and tried to boot back into my main system (also win 7) on my ocz revo ssd.

(The 1st boot option was set to the ssd my main hd)

On boot I was confronted with a boot menu, I selected option 2 (my win 7)I then was lead to the windows recovery screen (like what you get when you stick in the installation disk)

I tried all the options to no avail. Interesting note: When prompted to select an operating system, the list was empty.

Sticking in the 2ndry hard drive I was able to boot into the windows installed on that drive, from there I found an interesting article stating the problem may be something to do with the primary drive not being set as active in disk admin.

I followed to instructions and rebooted.

phase 2: This time no dual boot options show. Just this screen:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

(telling me in 3 steps to repair via install disk)

After that it shows the following:

File: \Boot\BCD

Info An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

So I stuck in the install win 7 disk and chose repair. (still no operating systems displayed in list) and I tried start up repair at least 5 times in a row. (I hear it only fixes one thing at a time.)

Still no fix..

I then discovered an interesting solution.

read following link: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vi...

When I get to option 2. and print in: attrib -h -s C:\boot\BCD

I get the folliwing: "Patch file c:\boot not found.

Well! I then try option 3 in the above link.

of course I come across the same command a few lines down: attrib -h -s C:\boot\BCD

Same error message.

I then attempt another repair method found on this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

(I know its for vista, but bootrec.exe is the same in win 7 I do believe)

In Method 2. I print the following command:

Bootrec /RebuildBcd

"Successfully scanned windows installations. Total indentified windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows

Then, "Add installation to boot list? Yes, No, All:"

I print Y for yes.

I then get the following message.

"Element not found"

(regarding above: I do not have a D: drive? or am i missing something?)

At this point I'm a little lost.. I've done everything I can. I feel I probably messed things up for good when I changed drive C: to active in the disk admin.?

Otherwise, all commments appreciated. I don't consider any method of recovery to be above my head. So post away!

Also: Yes I know I shouldn't have tried to install windows on a 2ndry drive while having the other drives plugged in!

Thank you.

D.

ps: Just tried "attrib -h -s D:\Windows\boot\BCD" like it stated the location of windows install above. Same error message.
August 25, 2011 8:09:24 PM

No ideas I suppose?
m
l
Related resources
!