GTX Gaming Rig Squeezed into a Mini PC Box - Worth it?

amirisme

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Hey there! If you haven't noticed, I asked a few days ago regarding a new gaming rig. Well, i've been reading through some magazines an an article hit me like a rock. I'm studying overseas and im building a pc before i go. So, since i gotta ship a pc out, why dun i just get a MINI PC? Albeit one that can handle games....

So, heres the spec sheet:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 (2.4Ghz)
Gigabyte G33M-DS2R
Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB DDR3
Thermaltake LanBox Lite with side window
Corsair Twin 2X 1024-6400C4 2GB with DHX Cooling Fins
WD WD7500KS 750GB
Samsung 20X SATA DVDRW
Logitech G9
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Samsung 931BW 19" Wide
Thermaltake BlueOrb FX
Corsair HX 520W

For those who seen my previous post, the specs should look familliar. With the reduced cost of the motherboard, i figured i put in a GTX and get a smaller screen so can get better frame rates by sacrificing same resos (dun really mind getting a 19" as long as its better performing). The case fits a GTX, but id have to sacrifice 1 hard drive slot, so thats why theres only one 750GB there. For future expansion, I could always use eSata drives. Probably WILL get one if i go with THIS setup

The thing i want to ask is.... IS there SOMETHING im not seeing here? Is the cooling going to be such a BIG issue with everything cramped up so closely together? All comments welcomed!!!

wmtp03

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
I myself have a Lanbox (the regular version, not the Lite), and I have to say, it's not much of a "Mini" PC. It's a little smaller and more of a cube form factor than a regular case, but it's a lot bigger than I expected. The ability to use standard parts is nice, though.

With that said, I don't think you'll have any problems...the case will fit the GTX as long as you remove the hard drive cage and put the HD in the vertical 3.5 bay. The only think you have to make sure is that your motherboard layout will handle the GTX without a problem. The Gigabyte seems okay, but it looks like the card will sit right on top of the Southbridge cooler. May or may not be a problem. I have an MSI board and its layout stinks--I can't use a GTX Ultra because it would block my SATA ports.

Airflow can be problematic since cable management is next to impossible in the case. The modular PSU is a great choice and is almost mandatory for the Lanbox.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
If you can find one an 8800GT is smaller, cheaper, and almost as fast as a GTX. I don't think it's much shorter, but at least it's single slot.

amirisme

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for the comments! Hmm... isn't the GT the same length as a standard card? I haven't seen it myself though, but judging by the pictures, it looks shorter.

Oh yeah... I didn't notice that the GT is almost similar to the GTX... Might consider that too. Might be the better choice as well? considering less space and more airflow?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
From what I can gather the GTX is 27.9cm long and the GT is a little over 24cm. The fact that is is single slot is kind of a double edged sword. On the one hand, it is thinner so it has a better chance of fitting into your case. On the other, it does not vent exhaust out the back like a dual slot solution, so it will pour a considerable amount of heat into your case.

The 8800GT is very close to the GTX in performance until you start going to extreme resolutions and high AA (8x and above). It is hands down the better buy, but it happens to be extremely hard to find in stock right now.

If you buy a GTX from eVGA now you can step up for three months after your purchase if a new card comes out. With the rumored g92 GTS being right around the corner, this might be a good option for you.

amirisme

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
OOO... Really? a new GTS? Sounds nice, but I'm from Malaysia and we don't get step up programs here. Bummer...

About fitting the GTX in the case, there isn't a problem as the case fits it (so it says on the product page). How about a custom cooling fan on the 8800GT? Something like the Cooler Master CoolViva Pro SE?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
O that sucks about StepUp.

Custom cooling on the GT is a good idea, but the heat will still be thrown back into your case. I am not aware of any aftermarket GPU coolers that vent hot air out of the case 8800GTX style. If you have good airflow it probably won't be a problem, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.