E6600 OC Need some help.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hey I've overclocked my processor from 2.40ghz to 3.0ghz I will give my specs first.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz OC to 3.0GHz
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB Rated at 4-4-4-15 Timings @ 800MHz, but I underclocked it to have 1:1 ratio.

Now this is what I did I started with the lowest vcore and then begin going up and my processor settled at 1.28 vcore and been running Prime95 over night for about 10 hours without any errors.

I have set my PCI Express Frequency to 100MHz and PCI Clock Synchronization to 33.33MHz, but my graphics card is still temperating at 53 degrees. Is that really bad?

I have only changed the Vcore and and my Memory voltage.

First questions are: Is my Vcore at decent place or its too high?
Is my graphics card temperature really high?
I have my FSB Termination Voltage, MCH Chipset Voltage and ICH Chipset Voltage at AUTO... Should I go change them to the lowest voltages and see if my computer can still run stable or should I leave those on auto.

Last question I am running the stock Intel heatsink which is giving me 41 idle and 58 when at full load. Are those temps bad or should I considering buying a new heatsink?

It would be helpful if you guys can answer these questions since its my first time overclocking.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
To be honest, I dont have your gear, but it looks good. Thats just the dual core version of my q6600s.

VCore is fine, you have alot to play with on those processors.

Dunno what card you have, but thats fine. Everyone likes to say 75c or lower on a vid card core, and 65 c on your processor cores.

Usually when voltages are on auto, the board tends to over volt. So you may wanna do that in the future, once you decide on a final OC and stabilize it.

Stock heat sink is kewl if you dont wanna OC to high. You'll need to waste 40-60 bucks if you want 3.6 or higher. You may make 3.2 on that stock fan, the temps start to rise after that 3.0. Because 3 ghz is pretty easy for the processor.

Have you decided on over clocking goals? That always helps if you want help! 3.2 will prolly be decent on that cooler.

You'll prolly wanna lower the processor multi to keep its speed low but allow you to up the FSB so you can get some speed out of that good ram of yours!

Hope that helped a little.

--Lupi

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just wanted it to be at 3.0GHz, but if 3.2GHz will make a big difference then I would take it to that, but about that last part you mean if I lower my multiplyer and raise my FSB I can get more speed from the ram? If so what would be a good mutilplyer to start with?

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I tried your way of going lower multiplyer and raising the FSB. so this is what i did i put mutlti to 8 and to took fsb to 375 = 3.0GHz but the computer won't post.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
::chuckles.:: well, you have to raise your North bridge voltage to 1.4, make sure you disable all the spread spectrum junk in the bios.

You may wanna make sure your cpu pll voltage is somewhat high, 1.5ish, make sure your ram voltage is correct.

--Lupi

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Alright, this is what I did and still having the same problem. I set FSB Termination Voltage to 1.5, Northbridge Voltage to 1.75 and my Ram voltage to 2.1, but as soon as I save the settings and restart it just won't do anything. Won't even show BIOS loading up or anything. But when I use lower fsb as like 2.6GHz on 8 muilt it works fine but not with 8x375 Is it that my processor is bad or did i messed up my motherboard and processor while ocing it or just my processor is not a good overclocker. Could it be that my rams are bad? i donno i have did memtest on it for 4 hours using the specs it came with and there were no errors.

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
nvm i figured it out i had to raise vcore inorder for it to work but that will generate more heat thus i will wait to do that until i get a better heatsink.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, North bridge voltage to 1.4!!! Sheesh, thats as high as it goes, isnt it? 1.4 is normal for a 400 fsb, so should be fine for 375, but maybe your board doesnt like 375? Shoot for 400. Thats just 3.2, no big deal for your processor.

Lots of boards hate lots of FSB settings, dont feel bad! You could have a 680i, which blows past 2.9ish.

So FSB 400, Multi x 8, North Bridge to 1.4! Just toss your VCore on 1.400 in the Bios, That should be high for 3.2, but just to be safe for now, wanna make sure we boot. Just set the ram to factory settings, or even auto, for its jdec. So you'll get 800 5-5-5-15 at 1.8 volts. Once we get into windows with no problems, then you can manually enter the lower ram timings and voltage, then boot.

If it boots fine, move on to lowering the vcore, while testing with prime 95 small ftts. I make it fast and simple, and just test for 30 mins on a voltage, no bsod, restart with a step or two down in the bios, then 30 mins again, when you finally get a bsod, up the vcore by 2 notches and just test away until it fails, or 8 hours go by. Fails, up the vcore by one and test again.

Its pretty simple, helps that I have three comps, so I can work on one and still use one! Like now! Putting my b3 processor and maximus formula on water to see what it can do.

--Lupi!

gotrice

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Haha, nice man but I only got one computer =P the thing is on this P5W DH Deluxe the lowest option for NB is 1.55 and then it goes 1.65, 1.75 and 1.85. Though it wasn't my board that didn't liked it, it was my processor that didn't like the vcore voltage. When I put the my multi to 8 and FSB to 375 and raise the vcore to 1.325 the computer start posting.

I have the specs like u :
Core2Duo E6600@3.2
ASUS P5KE- WIFI
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 16MB
OCZ VINDICATOR CPU COOLER
OCZ 4GB REAPER DDR2 800 4-4-4-15
OCZ 8800GTX @612/1080(=8800ULTRA)
OCZ PROXSTREAM 1000WAT
THERMALTAKE ARMOR CASE

Now to answer your questions:
First of all what is your VGA?
Your VCORE is good mine is set @ 1.3 and also i have set the timings of my RAM to 4-4-4-15 timings with 712MHZ Frequency ( 1:1 )
Dont change the FSB Termination Voltage,MCH Chipset voltage and UCH Chipset Voltage, leave them @ AUTO
Your temps are fine, mine idles @ 45c and full load @ 63