at0micsmurf

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I'm in the process of buying new parts to build a PC. I've decided on the Asus P5N-E SLI

I'm also getting a Q6600 CPU with 2gb Consair 800 memory

I read some product reviews and it appears some people have been having problems with the motherboard not recognizing the newer CPUs and therefore needing the bios flashed.

Problem 1, how would I update the bios if my new CPU doesnt work with it UNTIL i flash the bios? My old cpu is an AMD

Problem 2, I don't understand the instructions on how to actually flash it, here's the asus page http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

The updated bios files are .bin yet o nthat page it says they need to be .ROM? Do I rename it? An would I rename it to p5nesli.rom?

I just want to be safe an find all this out BEFORE i take my pc apart and build a new one. Thanks

eciacura

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
If the mobo doesn't recognize you cpu it will fail to boot. Had this problem with my crosshair and 6000+. They sent me a new bios chip, but they charge you shipping and will charge you if you don't send back the old chip. As far as customer service goes they should send you the chip for fre, especially when you drop 250bucks on a new mobo which you can't even boot.

punky47

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

The link as given in your answer post requires a username and password, and so is useless.