Existing RAID 0, will it work with new mobo?

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
First of all, when you ask a question, be sure to give all required information. When talking about compatibility of RAID controllers, both matter - the old one as well as the new one. And please, do just say Rampage Formula, it's really an unneccesary step to jump through links to find out what you are talking about.

In your case, I suspect it wasn't an X48-based mobo you're migrating from.

Here's the deal about (chipset) RAID controllers in general. There are no guarantees, even if they come from the same manufacturer (i.e. nV to nV; Intel to Intel, etc.). However, going with the same manufacturer does increase your chances, which still remain pretty slim.

Sometimes, mobo makers stck a third party controller on the mobo, in which case you need to know what controller you are attached to. Rampage Formula does not have a third party controller with RAID capability on present, though, so you're limited to X48 southbrige (ICH9), which I think is the same as X38 southbridge, actually.

Good luck.

Yet another reason why RAID0 is a dumb idea on the desktop.

If your old Mb has a ICH9R southbridge, it is possible.
Be sure to back up you vital data before trying to make it work.
Plug in bouth drives, set it to RAID in the BIOS and set the RAID configuration to stripe your current drives.
In theory it should work.

You will probably have to reformant anyways as you are changing the motherboard.
Windows dose not like that.

If your old motherboard has a southbridge other than the ICH9R, it will not work.
You will have to create a new RAID array and lose all of your data in the process.