Need Some Build/Buy Help

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Hey All,

I want to get my kids a new PC for Christmas as their's is my old one, that I built with a skilled friend back in 2000. It has seen better days and they need a new one. OK, that PC is the first and last I ever built and I did it with a friend who built them regularly. I am wary of building one myself but it isn't out of the question. I am, however, leaning towards buying one from cyberpower pc. The config is as follows:

Case: CM Stacker 830
PS: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready[+0]
CPU: Core 2 Due E6550
CPU Cooling Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Read good things about this)
Mobo: ASUS Striker Extreme (I am wanting a 680i chipset and from what I have read prefer this mobo)
Memory: 2X1GB Corsair XMS2 Extreme
Video Card: EVGA 8800 GT 512MB (Just one for now)
HDD: 320GB SATA-II
OD#1: 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
OD#2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM
Sound: On-Board
NIC: On-Board

OK, all of the above comes to $1420 plus tax. Here is where I need your help:

1) Does anyone think I can build a better system for the same $$ or less? Or at least a comparable system for less $$? If so, what would you recommend for the config?
2) Do you think I am overdoing it with the PS? Ultimately, I will want to upgrade the CPU, GPU's, and mem one day.
3) Is the CPU overkill, not enough kill, or juuuuust right? My kids will want to keep playing there fave old games but I want them to be able to play the new ones that are coming out and will come out in the near future. What I want is "just enough CPU for now and as long as I can get away with it and then upgrade in the future."
4) I am hoping this mobo is futureproof for some CPU, mem, and GPU upgrading. Am I wrong?
5) With regard to the GPU, I believe the one I note above, the 8800 GT 512 is that new one that everyone is raving about as far as cost/performance nirvana. Is this accurate? Now, I don't want to spend the money now on two cards as I need to keep this at around $1K and I am already over that. But do you think there is a lesser card that if I buy two and put them in an SLI config it will perform better and by chance cost less? I am assuming no. I figured when this one starts to get strained that I could buy another one at that time, run them in SLI, and that might help to give it a boost in performarce...is my thinking on point or flawed?
6) Sound...to save money I am foregoing on adding a sound card...I have heard that on-board sound has come along way. Is this true? My kids don't need 5.1 window shattering sound. They will probably continue to use their 2.1 setup. Is on-board sound good enough?
7) I am thinking it better to stick with XP-PRO as I read mixed info regarding Vista. I would rather just go with 64 bit Vista and be ready for the future, however, my kids are married to many of their older titles and if going with Vista was going to interefere with the playability of those games, they would rather keep their old and tired current PC. Am I off-base on this? Has Vista finally gotten the kinks out? Or should I stay with XP Pro for now and upgrade in a couple of years?

Now, allow me to please throw something else out there as well...normally, what I do is get a new MASTER PC, the one my wife and I use (we too are gamers although I also use it for work) and then give the kids our old one. This has worked out well in the past. I made the mistake of buying an Alienware in 2003/4 and with a new video card, it is still holding up. With our PC still holding up and the kids PC basically a paperweight it is putting us in a screwy position. I don't want to replace ours yet as it is still holding tough, even though it is an AGP (I have the Radeon X1950), and I also hear of some next level type technology coming out soon so I am thinking I should hold off on buying a new one for us. But yet, I need a new one for the kids...hence why I don't want to spend so much on their's now and then need to get a new one for my wife and I in a year or so. Do you agree with this being a bad time to buy new top shelf stuff?

Well, there you have it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

13BRAVO -- USHA!

Hi mate :)

1_Yes instead of ASUS STRIKER EXTREME get ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS, it has the same features with lower pice (STRIKER is more expensive because it has some extra features like LCD POSTER and also ASUS has named it a gaming motherboard which sounds more like advertising)

2_Its a good PSU, however u can same some $ and go with
OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 600W

3_E6550 is a very good chip (even if u dont OC it, it has a very good peformance) u can have it for now and upgrade to Penryn when they come out

4_Remember, the word "future proof" is dead now, also as i mentioned in 1, get P5N32-E SLI PLUS

5_8800GT is a very nice GPU,dont change it , 2 midrange cards AREN'T a better choice over a single high-end card
read my SLI/CROSSFIRE FAQs:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire-faqs

6_Well i have always have used onboard sound and its good

7_Get VISTA 64 bit (u can run old games on it, i could run old games on my VISTA too ) OR install XP now and then get VISTA SP1 which as i have heard will have alot of improvements over current VISTA

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Too much power - 500 is enough. Forget SLI, it's not video X2, and not reliable - get a basic p35 mobo. Forget the Corsair extreme and get some basic 667 RAM. Forget the cooler, the OEM one is fine. Forget the mammoth Stacker case and get something nice in the $50-75 range like a Gigabyte Triton. Definitely stick with XP!

Pocket the savings or upgrade to the E6750.

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Hey Maziar,

Thanks for the quick reply! OK, I've changed my selection to the P5N32-E SLI Plus, went with Vista Ultimate-64 Bit, and changed my PS to the Thermaltake ToughPower 600 Watt Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready. I am now at $1522 plus tax on the cost. The Vista Ultimate ended up erasing the savings from the Mobo and PS changes...if I stay with XP-Pro w/SP2, it will run me $1429.

Is there anywhere else I could cut costs without terribly sacrificing performance? The goal here was to spend around $1k but no matter how I slice it I can't get there. I will go price this config out a la carte to see what it would run me if I was to try and build it myself...to see if there would be a major difference in cost. Do you have any other possible suggestions? <-- Sorry for the whole open-endedness of the question!

Also, keeping in mind that whole "I usually get the new/better PC for my wife and I and pass down ours" thing, my current PC has a 3.2 P4EE, 1GB RAM, XP Pro w/SP2, and the top ATI AGP Card, the GeCube X1950XT, all on a ASUS P4C800-E Mobo. As I mentioned, this system is still doing OK (Once I upgraded the GPU) it seems, but do you think it is time to upgrade? Or should this still last me for awhile?

Thanks in advance!

13BRAVO -- USHA!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
For better savings go with nhobo's advice... forget the SLI and get a good P35 board... by the time the 8800gt is too slow youll be wanting something better than 2 of them. Do you really need 2 ODD's? The stacker 830 is an expensive case... maybe look at Antec900? its cheaper with excellent ait flow

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Hey nhobo,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I never even put any thought into a mobo with anything but a 680i chipset. But now that you mention it, if I don't really plan on SLI'ing, which I would definitely not be doing in the near future but is a possibility down the road, then maybe the 680i isn't necessary. (This is why I love these forums...you guys are all great!)

OK, is there any reason, OTHER than SLI, to go with a 680i? Does it bring any thing ELSE to the table above and beyond a P35 chipset mobo?

Also, if I do go with non-680i...would it make sense to wait for the newer versions of the X38 mobos (post-release kinks) instead of going with a P35?

As for the mem, I thought other than the timings (which I am woefully uneducated about) the speeds were the most important thing, is that not the case? Or is 800 a miniscule boost in performance over 667?

If I go with a 500W PS, is there anything special I should look for? Like, "Quad Ready" or something like that?

With regard to the case, I went with the CM Stacker because of the "builder/upgrader friendly-ness" factor. Like the pull out mobo tray, and basically pull-out HDD cages. I only built one PC, and that was with a friend, and it was back in 2000 but I want to, if not build this one, at least upgrade it going forward and those things were always a pain. Is there a cheaper case with the same type of features?

Also, I am interested in looking into OC'ing in the future...would extra cooling be necessary?

Thanks in advance!!

13Bravo -- USHA!

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Hey Chookman,

Thanks! I am definitely leaning down the path of nhobo's advice! As for the 2 ODD's, probably not...my kids watch a lot of movies on the PC and I've always read the DVD-ROM's provide better performance for that kind of thing than DVD-R/RW's do...and they will be burning stuff. Currently they use my PC to do that...but I guess there is no reason they can't continue using my PC for that stuff. Although, we are talking about $18 bucks for the additional ODD, so it isn't breaking the bank...but every dollar does count and it adds up! I might go ahead and drop the writer.

I will look at the Antec...I just want something that will make it A LOT less frustrating for a n00b like me to upgrade and/or build...I still haven't even decided if I will build it myself or buy it from cyberpower PC...

One question about the P35's and the X38's...these are all Penryn ready, right?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

That they are...

Getting a X38 prolly wouldnt be worth it in this case... you are trying to save some more money than the P35 is cheaper and the only real gain is PCI-e2.0 and 2 full bandwidth x16 slots which with an NVIDIA Gpu isnt gunna do you much good ;) The P35 is mature now and a good buy... Suggest Asus,Gigabyte or Abit boards. personally ive got the P5K-e Wifi and love it. Antec 900 is nice and open to plenty of moving room.

agreed with chookman
second lover of ASUS P5K-E WIFI :D :)
PCI-E 2.0 support(although not @ full bandwidth) + 1333mhz CPU support
+ 45nm CPU support + Very good cooling + Very good OC'ng potentional
need to say more :d

13bravo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks guys! So, if you had to choose, would you go ASUS P5K-E or ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus?

Also, would you recommend buying from someone like cyberpower pc or building (this is probably a stupid question considering the forum I am on but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask it...)?

Thanks in advance!

13BRAVO -- USHA!