Something resetting my OC settings in vista!!

FaceLifter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Here's a strange one, at least for me. I have re-installed vista 32 and flashed to the newest bios on my asus p5k. After installing everything I went into the bios and set my overclock settings to what I new worked in the past. Everything was fine, CPUz showed my OC was working fine ran crysis benchmark for a while and everything was going great. I restarted a few times and tweaked the settings, still everything was fine.

Then I tried sleep and hibernate mode, neither have ever worked with my set-up; this is when things stopped working. After re-starting my computers from the failed sleep attempt my bios settings in CPUZ were showing the default settings. I check in the Asus software and again, default settings. My ram was even running slower than default and with worse timings! I tried everything that I could think of(or look up on the internet). Here's the strange part, I can OC my ram and increase the timings with no problems, CPUz shows the changes in Vista. As soon as I OC my CPU and FSB and boot up, everything goes back to the defaults!! GRRRR...

As a note I know that the bios settings are fine, It even shows them at the post screen...but after vista starts up they drop back to default. These settings worked fine until I tried sleep mode, could be a program or Vista setting change that I'm not aware of...shrug, I've tried checking the Vista settings though.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
This sometimes happens to me an my DS3L. When I try to come up from wake it will start to go/fans spin/hdd spins up/ and then bam nothing. I have to hard shutdown and redo the settings. This was related to a USB hdd I had plugged in when using my F5 bios. I then disabled detect legacy usb hdd and it worked, then I got F8a and it started again, not as much though but still annoying as hell. But this was also from my memory being clocked high, so I set that to 1:1 and wait to see it happen again.

Perp

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Sucks....

One of my boards seems to lose it's bios setting every time I was shuttong off the main breaker to do some electrical work around the house.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Thats sound like a dead cell battery in your mobo. If the computer loses main power and loses it's settings thats the problem.

chrisfromalbany

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008

I have the setting for my Ocing on a piece of paper near by my computer. Not sure if it is the mult USB connections I have. This is one of the negative I have notice with OCing that I do from time to time lose my setting. p5k-e Q6600 3.6